Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

whats a good manuel for rebulding 4l60e tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 AM

whats a good manuel for rebulding 4l60e tranny

Im going to rebuild tranny myself an just tryin to find manuel or video that would help me any help would be great
Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 AM

Re: whats a good manuel for rebulding 4l60e tranny

Also looking for a decent kit for rebuild.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:42 AM

You need a few special tools which are expensive. But atsg has the book you a want.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 06-19-2013, 06:04 PM

What kind of special tools u need
Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Teflon seal installers. Some type of presses for the springs.

You will probably spend $500 for tools to do it yourself. Do you have any transmission shops nearby? See if they can install the seals for you. If you buy a rebuild kit be sure to get molded poisons.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 PM

ASTG book seems to be copied right out of the GM manual.

What is a molded poison?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:25 AM

The stock 4l60e before 97 I believe had aluminum pistons in the input drum. out of the 3 transmissions thata buddy and I tore apart, everyone had cracked pistons in it. That's what caused the failure in mine. The newer style are steel with the rubber seals molded to them.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:26 AM

Lol sorry, piston not poison. Just saw that.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 AM

I often try to stay out of these threads because my answers always seem to look as though I'm trying to discourage people from trying to build these on their own. Do you have any prior transmission knowledge? A 4L60E is not a good trans to build as your first attempt. If your goal is to save money, what we've seen the largest percentage of the time is that it ends up costing MORE when people try to build these things. The ATSG and GM manuals will show you hom to get all the parts back in the right order...but... They don't address all the updates, modifications, and changes needed to overcome all the design flaws these transmissions were built with. No book covers all the modifications needed to keep the 3-4 clutches alive. There are many weak parts in a 4L60E that are notorious for breaking. If these parts aren't updated, changed, or modified, they will break again.
As far as a "kit"? There are no good "kits" available. We source our parts from many different manufactuerers and companies. For instance, I many use a band from one supplier but I won't use their clutches.

Frank
Old 06-21-2013, 10:05 AM

As Chet explained. A 4L60E requires a lengthy list of specialty tools. You need a spring compressor for the low/reverse spring pack and another for the drums. A complete bushing driver set. I ring pliers, snap ring pliers, air compressor, some sort of solvent to clean the parts and case, servo pin length tool, lip seal tool, teflon ring installers and sizers, pump alignment band, 8,10,13,and 15 MM sockets, drill, fractional drill bit set, a variety of screwdrivers, needle nose pliers, channel locks, torque wrench, calipers, a pick set, and assembly lube. You never want to build a
4L60E with it laying down, so you'll need either a holding fixture or other means to keep the case vertical while assembling it.

Frank
Old 06-21-2013, 12:05 PM

I know from experience that these are not a beginners Trans. Luckily I found someone very close to me that helped me build mine. He had all the tools and walked me though it. Then when I attempted another one I forgot a gear in it. They are not easy at all.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:11 PM

If I would have had the money at the time I would have bought a transmission from frank. His prices are better than everyone else's. If you spent time reading his posts like I have, he knows what he's doing.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:15 PM

I'll give Frank another good endorsement, since he built my transmission from his supplied core for a reasonable price, and it has taken some healthy punishment without a hiccup. My car can do a burnout on the interstate at 65 mph and through all the down shifting and fast revs that my engine can put out, it has hung together in somewhat of a wonderment to me. As an engineer, I tend to feel sorry for my parts, but hell, if they don't break, it's a bonus to me. I'm sure it helps that my tires spin some, but still it is damn hard on the tranny, so that poor thing does take some punishment. I usually do things myself and I've built autos myself with half the necessary tools and had them live, but it is a bit of a gamble...As far as I'm concerned, Frank did a pretty good job on it. I had one done locally and that guy also did a good job - he had a dyno to run it on so he knew it worked even before he gave it back to me - but he knew nothing about the whole programming aspect of it and was worried about the pressure coming in correctly on a blower car, so there was some extra testing for me to do. In the end, it worked just fine, but I think frank did a better job and had later knowledge how to use better parts - z pack in my build which might not be used any more but still working like a champ. If I ever take it apart, I'll see if they are messed up.

*** Looks like I get to find out sooner than later - maybe I spoke too soon. Coming home from a car show last Sunday, my car puked the tranny. It lost 3rd & 4th. I started taking it apart today and there is some debris in the pan - looks like clutch lining and some cast iron or other cast metal, so it is going to be interesting to see what besides the clutches gave way. The car never made a sound, just kind of went into neutral when I was driving on the interstate at a somewhat steady speed. Hopefully, I'll finish the post mortem in a few days and will try to post pics of the carnage either in a new thread or maybe the 'What broke' thread.

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 07-24-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:03 PM

If you are a good reader, follow directions, have basic hand tools and aren't in a hurry you should be able to put yours together. Plenty of help here and all over the interwebz. Youtube has plenty of vid on how people get around the "special" must have tools.

Get the manual, start goggling and reading on how others have done theirs and dive in. You will never know until you try.

Last edited by TexasT; 10-05-2014 at 04:05 PM.