Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

What is wrong with stock shifter T56

Old 07-28-2015, 07:02 AM

What is wrong with stock shifter T56

Considering a new shifter, my stock shifter is worn. If you see how these are built inside the ball is slightly loose in cup.

What is so wrong with the stock shifter if it is a brand new unit other than a long throw. If you want more pressure for the shift feel Hurst replacement springs can be used.

It just seems like such a simple design what makes the aftermarket shifters that much better?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Re: What is wrong with stock shifter T56

In addition to shorter throw, they get rid of the big rubber bushing that isolates the stock stick from the shifter. Better centering, more precise feel, and several incorporate stops that prevent overshifting.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
In addition to shorter throw, they get rid of the big rubber bushing that isolates the stock stick from the shifter. Better centering, more precise feel, and several incorporate stops that prevent overshifting.
All true and aftermarket shifters usually just "FEEL" better too. However, there is one drawback to losing the rubber bushings, some aftermarket shifters gain a slight rattle at WOT. I know my SLP Hurst shifter rattles. I used some dynomat on the stick and base to try and settle it down a bit. It helps a little, but just be warned that a slight rattle will be normal with some aftermarket shifters.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Z28-50
Considering a new shifter, my stock shifter is worn. If you see how these are built inside the ball is slightly loose in cup.

What is so wrong with the stock shifter if it is a brand new unit other than a long throw. If you want more pressure for the shift feel Hurst replacement springs can be used.

It just seems like such a simple design what makes the aftermarket shifters that much better?
I went to the Hurst website and they recommend replacing the linkage with the new Hurst shifter,so no more missing the 3rd gear miss shift.Hope this helps.