Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

angry reverse burnout beat up my car

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:54 PM

angry reverse burnout beat up my car

The car: 93 firebird formula auto 101000 miles

The story: driving down a small side street there was a garbage truck that stopped next to a parked car blocking the road...So there I am waiting patiently for them to move but they take their time...finally back in the truck they pull up one driveway just enough so i cannot get by again. they get out of the truck slowly and see me pissed...so they walk casually to the surrounding houses to get the garbage. Meanwhile I am in disbelief that they blocked me in twice. So I decided to pop in in reverse and gun it, making a nice cloud of smoke and plenty of noise. right as the tires started spinning the car started hopping wildly and making banging noises. about 25 feet later while still hopping the car stalled. Then started right back up and it drove normally. A few moments later while at a stop sign the car started vibrating terribly making a very loud buzz inside the car and rattling my teeth. This vibration only occurs while the car is in drive and stopped. when popped in neutral or park it stops immediatley. Also when moving in drive there is no vibration. The only other thing I noticed with this is that the car may not be shifting as hard as it used to but that might just be my imagination looking for somthing wrong.
Anyone have an opinion? I appreciate any help given.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:28 AM

Re: angry reverse burnout beat up my car

Sounds like you broke your transmission mount. Easy fix. Put a polyurethane tranny monunt it stronger but you will get a bit of added vibration.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:50 AM

Check your U-joints as well.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:51 PM

oh yeah... and NEVER TO THAT AGAIN!!!! im suprised that all that happened... i have heard of people doing that, and destroying their rear, and cracking Driveshaft... our cars are designed to load balance the weight in a forward motion, look how the Lower control arms are positioned... so they will brace the car going forward, thats why you hopped...
Old 04-13-2005, 09:30 PM

Here are some pictures of the rubber patch. notice the left strip.
http://client.webshots.com/photo/322...22016034OhDftw

Also. the gear selector indicator doesnt seem to be lining up right.(PRND32) for example, when the car is in drive the indicator will show it in the neutral spot. The only one that lines up correctly is park. Any explanation?

Last edited by tomcat87; 04-13-2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat87
Here are some pictures of the rubber patch. notice the left strip.
http://client.webshots.com/photo/322...22016034OhDftw

Also. the gear selector indicator doesnt seem to be lining up right.(PRND32) for example, when the car is in drive the indicator will show it in the neutral spot. The only one that lines up correctly is park. Any explanation?
You really got on the gas. Since you got a lot of vibration it could be that this caused the ear to brake. This ear -don't know how else to exlplain- moves the red indicator to the gear you just put the shifter in. It is a small piece of plastic. Of course im describing the upper console of a 97-02 f-body. But may be similar problam. If you can move the shifter and grab the gear you're selecting and the car respond like it's supposed to then no problem. You probably just broke the ear as described earlier. Remove the upper console and you will know whats going on. Good luck hope this helps.

Last edited by sir dyno; 04-14-2005 at 01:10 PM.