Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

We really need an LT1 sticky on clutch/flywheel options

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:52 AM

Is the Ram Powergrip PN correct on post 1. Jegs PN 798-910
Old 03-18-2008, 02:02 PM

Yes it is, here's the link for it to make it easier to get to and order.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Ram%20Clutches/798/910/10002/-1
Old 03-18-2008, 02:21 PM

Is the size wrong. It is listed as a 11'' x 1-5/32'' - 26 Spline, Dont we need a
11 x 1 1/8 - 26?
Old 03-19-2008, 06:11 AM

Edit

They had this part listed as a 11 x 1 1/8 - 26 disc for an LT1 a month or so ago. Not the first time they posted something wrong. So now it looks like before and the 300/900 and the 900 PowerGrip disc can not be ordered seperately for an LT1.

Thanks for the updated. First port edited.
JD

Last edited by PoorMan; 03-19-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:50 AM

What if someone accidentally put in one of these RAM discs (798-910)? Would 1/32 even make a difference??
Old 03-27-2008, 10:22 AM

nobody??
Old 03-27-2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by SweetTooth8
What if someone accidentally put in one of these RAM discs (798-910)? Would 1/32 even make a difference??
yes I would like to know this as well. I just order a clutch and thats what summit sent me.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:35 PM

Well, I went to Autozone and picked up their LT1 clutch kit. $204 out the door including tax. For some reason they gave me 10% off for picking it up, which is reflected in the price.

Here is what I found: Part Number NU31265. Two things I noticed.

1) There is no Valeo stamped in the pressure plate, but it looks identical from the pictures of the Valeo model.

2) The Clutch disk only has four springs, versus the stock five. Is this an issue? What is the purpose of these springs, to take the initial shock of a hard engagement of the clutch, or intermittant spikes in torque? This is the only part that has me a little nervous.

Hope this is helpful for others.

Box:

Clutch Disk:

Pressure Plate and Bearing:

Dan
Old 03-27-2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by stereomandan
Well, I went to Autozone and picked up their LT1 clutch kit. $204 out the door including tax. For some reason they gave me 10% off for picking it up, which is reflected in the price.

Here is what I found: Part Number NU31265. Two things I noticed.

1) There is no Valeo stamped in the pressure plate, but it looks identical from the pictures of the Valeo model.

2) The Clutch disk only has four springs, versus the stock five. Is this an issue? What is the purpose of these springs, to take the initial shock of a hard engagement of the clutch, or intermittant spikes in torque? This is the only part that has me a little nervous.
I have seen this PP once before, up to a few years ago they were rather rare since the Valeos were still around. It is a chinese knock-off from what I was told by my clutch guy.

I borrowed one from a parts house and had it pressure tested and it was stronger than the stamped Valeo PP. Also notice the aluminum case is much better looking than the Valeo cases which all look like they have cracks and flash.

The purpose of the springs is to reduce the impact on the drivetrain when the clutch is dumped. I am sure this clutch is fine for stock or lightly increased power levels.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by key3
yes I would like to know this as well. I just order a clutch and thats what summit sent me.
I personally dont think the 1/32 would make a difference. The clutch hydraulics will self adjust to a thin worn disk, a OEM spec thickness disk or even a slightly larger than OEM spec disk. My spec 3+ is .238" thick were my stock disk was .218" thick.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I have seen this PP once before, up to a few years ago they were rather rare since the Valeos were still around. It is a chinese knock-off from what I was told by my clutch guy.

I borrowed one from a parts house and had it pressure tested and it was stronger than the stamped Valeo PP. Also notice the aluminum case is much better looking than the Valeo cases which all look like they have cracks and flash.

The purpose of the springs is to reduce the impact on the drivetrain when the clutch is dumped. I am sure this clutch is fine for stock or lightly increased power levels.
Thanks for the reply. After I wrote that, I looked it up and you're right, the springs are just there to dampen the initial shock when the clutch is engaged.

I plan to install this in three days so I'll report back with my findings.

Dan
Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 AM

Well, I got it all buttoned back up. Holy Crap! It's like driving someone else's car!

The clutch grabs pretty much immediately off the floor. I stalled it twice getting used to it in the first couple of minutes, which is weird since I've had the car since new with 91k on the old clutch. I was very used to how it drove. I guess the wear was so gradual over 91k miles that I got used to having the engagement point get further and further up the pedal travel.

I was worried that resurfacing the flywheel would make the engagement point higher than it should be, but no worries there!

The clutch seems to be holding well, even with my 325-330 rwtq. No chatter or weird pedal feel. Very smooth.

Dan
Old 04-08-2008, 01:10 PM

Addition to the OP:
Any of the disks for the SPEC clutch kits can be bought separately, through SPEC directly.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho
Addition to the OP:
Any of the disks for the SPEC clutch kits can be bought separately, through SPEC directly.
Edited. Thxs
Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by stereomandan
Well, I got it all buttoned back up. Holy Crap! It's like driving someone else's car!

The clutch grabs pretty much immediately off the floor. I stalled it twice getting used to it in the first couple of minutes, which is weird since I've had the car since new with 91k on the old clutch. I was very used to how it drove. I guess the wear was so gradual over 91k miles that I got used to having the engagement point get further and further up the pedal travel.

I was worried that resurfacing the flywheel would make the engagement point higher than it should be, but no worries there!

The clutch seems to be holding well, even with my 325-330 rwtq. No chatter or weird pedal feel. Very smooth.

Dan
You are on the razors edge of an OEM spec disk not being able to hold the power. I would guess that if you ran sticky tires then the disk would slip. Of course this is mighty good for the ten bolt.

Quick Reply: We really need an LT1 sticky on clutch/flywheel options