Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Transmision Going Bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 PM

Exclamation Transmision Going Bad

I've had this Camaro about 2 weeks, I traded my yamaha Vmax for it. It is a 1996 Convertible z28, 4sp auto. It's ran great, put on nearly 800 miles on it, and everything works wonderfully except today on the way to work... the transmission is acting up suddenly.

I reversed out of my driveway, and as I put it into drive to leave, it didn't engage right away, but I didn't realise it and gave it a tad bit of gas. The half second I gassed it (maybe 1800-2k rpm) it jolted into first making a really loud thud. The thud only happens in first gear right around high 2k, 3k rpms as it shifts into 2nd. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little more info or is that it cut and dried?

This thread has a couple different directions I was hoping to check out;

I really wish my car was a manual. Since I'm already going to probably have to spend at least a grand for a new auto trans, why not drop some more for a manual? I was hoping to hear more about this option. This is more of a fantasy, I will more than likely go the cheap route.

I think it'd be cheaper to buy a new transmission instead of getting a rebuild in most cases, yes? I plan to put 20k miles on it for the next year I will own it, so would that affect which choice you'd recommend I make?

Lastly, if I were to go with another auto transmission, are there any others out there within 100-200 dollars of the stock one that would be substantially better? Perhaps a 5spd auto or maybe one with an overdrive in the last gear? I don't really 'hot rod' my car much. I don't ride it hard, and the few times I'd gas it, it'd only be in first and second. A lower gear ratio would be fine with me, I cruise a lot on the highway and the MPG gained would be much appreciated.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:11 AM

Re: Transmision Going Bad

Check the fluid. Sounds like it may be low.

What yr is the car? If a 95, they can only use a 95 transmission. Check out Cahall transmissions. He is a user on this forum and his prices are very good.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Chet1185; 08-02-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Perhaps a 5spd auto or maybe one with an overdrive in the last gear? I don't really 'hot rod' my car much. I don't ride it hard, and the few times I'd gas it, it'd only be in first and second. A lower gear ratio would be fine with me, I cruise a lot on the highway and the MPG gained would be much appreciated.
You 4L60E already has an O/D 4th gear (0.70:1). Next step up would be the 6L80E used in the Holdens, CTS-V, Corvettes, etc. That gets you 6 forward speeds with two O/D gears. 1st gear is a stump-puller 4.03:1. If you go to the drivetrain forum, or do a search, I believe a couple of site members have swapped in the 6L80E. I'm sure it's not cheap.

I'll move this thread to the "Drivetrain" forum for you.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'll look into Cahall transmissions. I was told that this transmission I had came from the factory with an SLP shift kit, it removed the skip shift to help save the tranny longer (It didn't work :P). Is there even such a thing? I'm decently knowledgable about cars but I don't know a whole bunch about camaros other than the basics.

I think I'll just get another 4spd, as tempting as that 6sp auto sounds, I don't plan on keeping this car long enough to make it worth while. Next summer I'm going to be buying a 05-06 GTO, my dream car, and this toy will have to go!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Administrator

"Skip Shift" is only applicable to the 94 and up 6-speed manual trans. Not part of the automatics.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:24 PM

Skip shift was a feature on 6 speed cars (manual transmission), not automatics. Shift kit usually just firms up the shifts.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 PM

As Chet said, check the fluid first. Does it do this all the time? The early 4L60Es have a habit of cracking the aluminum forward pistons. When this happens, fluid will bleed through the crack and it will have a hard time applying the forward clutches (if they apply at all). When you rev the engine up, it turns the pump faster, therefore pumping more fluid, which may somewhat overcome the crack enough to get an apply. I need a little more info though. Let's check the fluid level and it's condition. Is it still pink, or is it dark black/brown? Does the fluid smell burnt?
You can't buy a "new" 4L60E. Anything you will find for your car will be a rebuild. I'd stay away from a GM reman, because they're built back to factory specs. This pretty much means that they don't update anything or fix the numerous design flaws. The 4L60E can be built to handle an amazing amount of horsepower. We have one running 9.8 in a 4200# Impala SS, and several others in the 9's.

Frank
Old 08-02-2013, 10:30 PM

I will go through and check the fluid again, I checked it when I got it and it was the normal pinkish color. I don't recall smelling anything, but I remember on a few instances revving it up to about 5k on a quick spirited run, thinking I saw a tad bit of smoke coming from the hood for a half second until the RPMs dropped down. Maybe it is cracked and leaking? Would the fluid perhaps be squirting out onto the engine at those high RMPs evaporating, creating that smoke?

I'm completely grabbing at straws here, I am completely clueless here.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:36 PM

A cracked piston will cause an internal leak. If the trans is overheating, too full, or dumping pressure into the sump, it can blow fluid out the vent or dipstick tube.

Frank