Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Torque Converter Install Guide

Old 03-30-2014, 05:36 PM

Torque Converter Install Guide

Does anybody have a link to an install guide for a TC? I couldn't find it in the Haynes manual.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:11 PM

Re: Torque Converter Install Guide

Gotta drop the trans. Slide new TC into pump, make sure its seated all the way down. Reinstall trans.

There is alot of info online. Just do a quick search and you will find everything you could need.

Sent from my LG-LS860 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Re: Torque Converter Install Guide

Jack up back, put spare tires/wheels under the rear tires. Jack upfront and put jackstands and/or lincoln logs... Make sure stable and tall enough to pull the trans out from under neath.

Undo exhaust, undo the driveshaft (have catch pan for fluid coming out the tail, undo the shift cable attached to the pan, undo the torque converer bolts and try to slide the converter slightly back (dont hurt the pump), undo crossmember (with jack under trans), unhook speed sensor, and transmision harness. Might as well take out the o2 sensors (learned the hard way and you dont want to have to buy new ones)... Pull the dipstick tube out from the trans from the top, can leave in place.

Lower the jack, undo lines, put out of the way. Start undoing the bolts with jack in place with slight pressure. The bolt on the driver's side second up is a bitch... first time we lowered the rear craddle bolts to be able to get extensions and a swivle in. Once all bolts are out jack up, and push the jack back towards the rear of the car to get the transmission off the guide pins. Once off let down gently.

Reverse this... the most important part is the installation of the torque converter. You must slide it on and turn it and push it gently back on to the splines making sure they all engage... you want to make sure that when you are jacking it back up that the converter doesn't slide around or go back and wack the pump, that will certainly kill it.

Then jack back up and slide it on the guide pins and start bolting.

Easy peasy... took my time this saturday and did this by myself. Took me 5 hours including a trip to the parts store.