Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Time for a new clutch (LS1)

Old 06-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Time for a new clutch (LS1)

I'm just about ready to drop the money on a new clutch. My 2002 Z28 has 110k miles and a dead slave cylinder. It's still on the factory clutch. I don't see much point in pulling the trans to replace the slave cylinder and leaving the clutch there, since it's probably down to 15% life at best.

I'm on the fence about the clutch. A stock replacement with flywheel from Exedy (who I think might have been the OEM supplier?) is under $400.

Somebody tell me why I shouldn't buy this McLeod Street Twin ($770) and Fidanza aluminum flywheel ($311) from Amazon.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004PLA1HC
http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002L1AYFM

I also considered the Katech LS9X and the Exedy GT04XD multiplate, but those are $1750 and $2100 respectively, and I can't think of a good reason to spend that kind of money vs. the McLeod.

I'm looking at these big-power twin-disc clutches because I have eventual plans to add horsepower. I think I'd land in the 450rwhp range and be satisfied; maybe a little more than that. At the same time, I use the car as a three-season daily driver, so I wouldn't want a pain-in-the-*** clutch.

I also considered some single-disc upgrades, but most seem to cost very nearly as much as the McLeod, so I don't see the point.

Finally, I'd also like to confirm that there aren't extra tools or parts I'm going to need. I've pulled and reinstalled the trans before and I have all the tools necessary for that. I have a set of OEM flywheel bolts I picked up recently on clearance from a local dealership.

Are there any tools I'll need that are specific to installing the clutch and flywheel, aside from an alignment tool (which comes with some clutch kits, but otherwise is about $2 on RockAuto)?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Time for a new clutch (LS1)

I'm now also considering an LS7 clutch, 490 with RAM 19lb flywheel.
GM LS7 Clutch & Flywheel Package for ALL LSx Applications - Tick Performance

A friend tells me that his LS7 clutch, in a supercharged C5, making 505rwhp, slipped when it was hot. That's a bit above my power goals, but his car is lighter than mine.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:52 PM

I was going to suggest the LS7 clutch - but in a supercharged application - not so much...Blower cars kill normal clutches. But for 450 whp, that isn't much different than an LS7 so it ought to live, even with a heavier car. And you still got the old made-of-glass 10 bolt to think of, right?
Old 06-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, the 10-bolt is something I'll take care of before I add much more power. I'm not terribly worried, though, because drag racing isn't high on my priority list. I've gone like five times in the nine years I've had the car.

I don't think supercharging is the direction I'll go. I already have a turbo and supercharged car in the family, so there's some appeal in staying NA. I don't know for sure, but a cam-only build is where I plan on going first, aiming for low 400's at the wheels. If that's not fast enough, I'm not sure what's next. Maybe heads, maybe stroker, maybe an LS3 or even Gen5 LT1 build. That all depends on budget.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I just ordered the McLeod RST twin-disc clutch. The price and link above were for the RXT, which is rated for 1000hp. The RST is good for 800 and is about $100 less. I have no intention of ever having that much power, but I couldn't find a clutch that's rated sufficiently for my eventual goals with a better price, reputation, and street-friendly pedal effort/feel than the McLeod.

I also ordered an ACT forged steel flywheel. It's a few pounds heavier than the Fidanza. I was worried the Fidanza would be too light and a bit annoying for street use, especially once I upgrade to a more aggressive cam. It's still quite a bit lighter than the stocker and I'm hoping the engine will spin up much more readily.

Finally, I ordered an Energy Suspension poly trans mount. They're not expensive, and I'll have the transmission out, so it seemed like a good idea.

I've had a driveshaft loop sitting in my garage for a while, just waiting for a good time to install it. I'll be putting that in as well.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Administrator

I had the McLeod Street Twin with steel flywheel in my Formula when it still had the T56. It was maybe a touch more pedal pressure than the stocker, but otherwise, could not tell the difference in engagement or street manners. Could really tell the difference on a 5,000+RPM clutch dump on sticky tires. Just dead hooked. Best part was I bought it used from a 900HP 30th SS convertible, $1,000 for the complete clutch, plus a T56 trans (kept as a spare and eventually sold for $500) and a nylon ballistic fabric bell housing shield. I sold the McLeod to the third owner as part of a T56 conversion package, when I went to the TH400.

A good investment assuming the LS1 setup is as good or better than the LT1 setup.