Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

t56 speed sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:10 AM

t56 speed sensor question

Finishing up a auto to standard swap and I am not sure which pin to hook the wires from the auto speed sensor? Purple wire to which pin and vice versa to the other wire/pin, anyone know which one? The write up by afrahesh(sp?) says to wire the purple wire to pin A but I am not sure which pin that is.

Last edited by Car Enthusiast; 03-25-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:49 PM

any of the manual guys know which way the wires go in the speed sensor
Old 03-25-2008, 08:53 PM

When I did my swap, I just lengthened the wires that originally went to the A4 speed sensor, and using the original plug, plugged into the M6 sensor. So the wires remained in the same configuration (although I don't think it matters, to be honest ..... it's just a magnetic "pulse" anyway, so direction is irrelevant, if I'm not mistaken? ).
Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 AM

yeah see thats the thing when i was taking the auto out it pulled the wires out of the sensor so now i am left with two wires hanging waiting to be soldered to the new sensor, one purple, and if my mind can remember one tan
Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 AM

One purple, one yellow wire.

Are you the one that emailed me? My reply kept getting refused.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:09 PM

it came through, and yeah i have those two wires i just need to know which one goes to which pin on the actual sensor. as in if you are looking at the connector with the sensor part pointing down which one goes on the right pin and which one goes on the left
Old 03-26-2008, 07:28 PM

I don't know if you can figure it out from this pic, but I think it doesn't really matter.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:45 PM

thanks man for the pic, I think that is the connector for the auto, don't have one for a manual do you?

Last edited by Car Enthusiast; 03-26-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:18 PM

No manual pic, 'cause I don't have one.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator

The sensor output is a variable pulse rate, based on the magnetic effects of the reluctor wheel passing the sensor. It should produce the same pulse signal, whichever way the wires are connected. However, one wire is a "ground", so you would need to check and see if either pin on the VSS sensor is in effect a ground to the vehicle. If you find that one pin on the sensor is a ground, that would connect to the purple wire.

If neither VSS pin is actually grounded through the sensor body to the tranny, it shouldn't make any difference which wire goes to which pin.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:59 AM

using this write up http://afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/T56.htm it says the wiring position matters

"Finally, get under the car and cut the VSS connector from the A4 harness. Wire the new VSS connector in (it is located on the passenger side all the way on the back near the bottom). I would reuse the plastic tubing as it needs to be weather protected. Polarity is relavent here - the purple wire goes to A."

I can't see any label for A, I am going to try to email the guy, but I have emailed him before and got no answer. If anyone knows for sure if it has to go a certain way let me know, otherwise I am going to wire it up see if it works if not I will wire it up the other way, and hope I didn't mess anything up by doing so.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
I don't know if you can figure it out from this pic, but I think it doesn't really matter.
Originally Posted by Car Enthusiast
thanks man for the pic, I think that is the connector for the auto, don't have one for a manual do you?
It doesn't matter ... it's the EXACT SAME CONNECTOR from the A4 to the M6!!!

Looks to me like it's yellow on the "left" (if you were holding the plug upright) and purple on the "right". Again, I used the SAME PLUG that orignally connected to my 4L60E and plugged it into the T56 (except I had to lengthen the wires about another ~foot or so, to reach over the tranny to the T56 plug location, but I made sure the yellow/purple wires remained in the same configuration).

There's nothing complicated about this!!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Car Enthusiast
using this write up http://afrashteh.com/tranny_pics/T56.htm it says the wiring position matters

"Finally, get under the car and cut the VSS connector from the A4 harness. Wire the new VSS connector in (it is located on the passenger side all the way on the back near the bottom). I would reuse the plastic tubing as it needs to be weather protected. Polarity is relavent here - the purple wire goes to A."

I can't see any label for A, I am going to try to email the guy, but I have emailed him before and got no answer. If anyone knows for sure if it has to go a certain way let me know, otherwise I am going to wire it up see if it works if not I will wire it up the other way, and hope I didn't mess anything up by doing so.
I didn't say it would or wouldn't matter. I suggested how to find out..... and determine where the purple wire goes.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:41 PM

figured it out, the afrehesh guy got back to me, the actual connector was labeled a and be, All wired up and put back together, just happy to have the swap all the way done
Old 03-30-2008, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
It doesn't matter ... it's the EXACT SAME CONNECTOR from the A4 to the M6!!!
It's only the same connector on the 96+ cars. 93-95 had different conenctors for auto and manual.

Quick Reply: t56 speed sensor question