Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Is a special scan tool needed to bleed brakes?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:26 AM

Is a special scan tool needed to bleed brakes?

Is it possible to bleed the brake system on a 96 Camaro that has traction control and anti lock brakes without some special equipment? My Haynes manual says to take the car to a shop that has a Tec 1 or T100 scan tool. At this point it appears I need to remove my brake booster and hence the brake master cylinder to install my new clutch master cylinder. I do not care if my ABS is inoperative as long as the the brakes work otherwise normally.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:03 AM

Re: Is a special scan tool needed to bleed brakes?

You do not NEED to use the tool tech 1 to bleed the brakes, you do need it if you want to bleed the abs module automatically and correctly. But the whole system should bleed normally like any other car. I've done this a couple of times, it still works. The abs may not work, but as you said you dont care. so yes you can bleed it normally. just get the air out of the line and you should be good to go.

Theres ALOT of brake lines on this car with a ton of places for air to get trapped. Having a power bleeder helps getting this job done
Old 04-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Administrator

If you have a code set for the ABS system, the motors have to be "homed".
Old 11-07-2023, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rod Bender
Is it possible to bleed the brake system on a 96 Camaro that has traction control and anti lock brakes without some special equipment? My Haynes manual says to take the car to a shop that has a Tec 1 or T100 scan tool. At this point it appears I need to remove my brake booster and hence the brake master cylinder to install my new clutch master cylinder. I do not care if my ABS is inoperative as long as the the brakes work otherwise normally.
yes you need to unlock the abs system because if you have a leak in your rear braklines the abs system will not allow brake fluid to travel to the rear calipers . Therefore you need to fix your problem then have the machine unlock the abs system to allow the brake fluid travel back . When it happens you'll hear a kinda loud pop and that's the abs system letting the fluid go !