Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Spec Stage 3 or 4 clutch. Please help me decide.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 11:05 PM

Spec Stage 3 or 4 clutch. Please help me decide.

I am in the process of finishing up my engine build and I need help with what clutch to go with. Please go to the website in my signature, under specification it will list my mods. Basically its a N/A 400HP Car. I still want the drivability of going to work every once in a while with this car and be able to drive it on the weekends. It will not be my daily driver 100%. However it will more than likely be driven after work and on weekends frequently. So I am looking for a clutch that isnt a pure race clutch. From my understanding the Stage 4 is either on or off since it doesnt have any springs. I am also under the impression that the Stage 4 does not slip at all... I am leaning towards the Stage 3 but I hear bad things about how they break and leave mass destruction. This car will see the track very little if any for atleast another year due to the fact that I still need to put in the 9" and 4.11 gears. This car is also on the stock tranny and stock rear end. So please help me decide which clutch would suit my needs better.

On another note, I had a 1991 tsi awd talon before this car and it had an ACT 2600 clutch. This clutch seemed fine for daily driving. So I can handle a decently harsh clutch.

Thanks again guys!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:23 PM

Re: Spec Stage 3 or 4 clutch. Please help me decide.

Originally Posted by Silvershark
I am leaning towards the Stage 3 but I hear bad things about how they break and leave mass destruction.
http://community.webshots.com/album/356140671QRXNyK

Thats my stage 2

If I bought another spec clutch, it will be an unsprung hub. Ive talked to a local guy who has a stage 4, and he says its great, untill it gets hot. It then likes to chatter. So keep it out of traffic.

I sent my clutch back to them. Ill hear from them by wednesday hopefully. Dont buy from them till then, wait to hear how they treat their customers with problems first.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:27 PM

How many miles were on your stage 2? This car will only see maybe 2k miles a year if that.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:31 PM

I say just go with the Spec stage 4, it is not much more than stage 3 and will last you. That is advice coming to you from a Lt1 with t56 putting 571TQ at the wheels (On the Bottle) and it has been driving on for roughly 12,000 miles with tons of "abuse" without a problem yet
Old 06-03-2005, 11:39 PM

stage 4 is prob good.. i have stage 3 and love it.. just as easy to drive as stock(or dam near close anyway) if only 2k miles a year.. why NOT go with 4?! even if it was daily driven.. everyone says stage 4 is fine for that too...

go with 4...

edit: pics of stage 3 and billet steel flywheel in sig

-cory-

Last edited by Klypto; 06-03-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:41 PM

Will I still be able to slip the clutch with a stage 4? I dont wanna have to hammer the throttle and drop the clutch for daily driving.. I want to be able to roll out of places like parking spots etc. Maybe this clutch isnt as harsh as I am thinking...

I have been leaning towards spec stage 4 kevlar for quite some time now... However, I have been reading a lot of reviews lately since its purchase time and most of them state that the clutch is a all go or no go clutch, no in-between.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:46 PM

stage 3 easier lets you feather it, and when want.. GRIPS like hell (snapped axle with stockpower) on my first launch at the track... if rly worried about drivability.. i can vouch 100% that the stage 3 is great, and EASY to drive...
Old 06-04-2005, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Klypto
stage 3 easier lets you feather it, and when want.. GRIPS like hell (snapped axle with stockpower) on my first launch at the track... if rly worried about drivability.. i can vouch 100% that the stage 3 is great, and EASY to drive...
everyone I know says this about stage 4, and I quote

"Stage 4 is fine, all those people on the internet bitching about 4 are all just a bunch of pussies"

In all seariousness though, I have heard it is slipable and not much of a difference. And I have only ever heard bad things about stage 3's
Old 06-04-2005, 11:59 PM

im not saying dont get stage 4, next clutch i get will prob be stage 4.... but... all im saying is the stage 3 is great, and nothing bad yet has happened... if i was staying same power i am at, id get stage 3 again, but im going to be around 450rwhp by the time i get new clutch, and ill be racing a good bit(track)

soo ill end up with 4 then...

-cory-
Old 06-05-2005, 03:01 AM

With all the problems coming from the sprung hubs in SPEC clutches, I got myself a stage 4. Just have to install the damn thing already
Old 06-05-2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Silvershark
How many miles were on your stage 2? This car will only see maybe 2k miles a year if that.
It had around 15k miles. The sprung hubs in spec clutches simply suck. I would not recommend a stage 3 for you. A couple people may get lucky here and there (I thought I was one of them ), but If they're all the same, they all have a good chance of breaking.

If you get a spec, get the stage 4. Period. If thats too much for you, get a different brand. Ive heard good things about the stage 4 after its broken in. Heard it takes lots of time to break it in though. Also heard its bad in heavy traffic, but like you I only drive a couple thousand miles a year lately, and that dont bother me.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:36 PM

"Will I still be able to slip the clutch with a stage 4? I dont wanna have to hammer the throttle and drop the clutch for daily driving.. I want to be able to roll out of places like parking spots etc. Maybe this clutch isnt as harsh as I am thinking..."

you can slip it just the same. i'm still breaking my Spec 4 in so it still chatters a TINY bit on some stoplight starts...but nothing horrible.

if people think this clutch is harsh...they must be the biggest wusses in the world...cause to me (besides the tiny bit of chatter) it drives just like stock.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:22 PM

I have a stage 3 that just won't hold. At the track, it'll hold the launch and 1-2 shift, but 2-3 and 3-4 is slips bad. I don't know how it's getting so hot, must be slipping a bit on the launch. I've never been happy with it. I'm going to get a stage 4 next year, hopefully it holds up better.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:33 PM

Ok. Stage 4 for sure. I just was afraid it was SO harsh that it just wasnt humanily possible to slip it. If its just a tough clutch I would rather prefer that. Now the question is... What material should I go with?

Kevlar or Ceramic? Whats the big difference between the two? I know most dragsters run ceramic.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:09 PM

Ok, I just ordered it from Tybrne and went with the carbon disc. They are having a 10% sale right now on their clutch's so I decided to purchase today.

Quick Reply: Spec Stage 3 or 4 clutch. Please help me decide.