Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

shifting into reverse is rough...why...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 12:20 PM

shifting into reverse is rough...why...

hey A4 guys. when i had my 2000 Z28. i noticed that when i would shift the car into reverse it felt rough shifting to it. like it made a rubbing noise as it shifted. also when i test drove an 02 WS6 A4 i shifted it into reverse and was wondering if it would make the same sound and for some reason this one did as well. i check out my tranny fluid and it was good to go. i was just wondering if this is normal or what. like i said it made like a rubbing noise as the tranny was shifting into reverse. and it only did that in reverse....just wondering if you guys had the same experience...
Old 10-24-2004, 11:25 AM

Re: shifting into reverse is rough...why...

Does it shift into reverse easily when the engine is off? I had a problem with my 2002 Z that was the result of a bad slave cylinder. Basically, the clutch was always dragging. Reverse eventually was next to impossible to shift into with the motor running. First was tough also and the 3-4 shift was a bit rugged.

GM said my slave cylinder was leaking down and allowing the clutch to drag. They said the flywheel was completely blue from heat. Fortunately I had just enough warranty to get a new slave cylinder and flywheel. No more problems.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:25 AM

Re: shifting into reverse is rough...why...

Originally Posted by dnult
Does it shift into reverse easily when the engine is off? I had a problem with my 2002 Z that was the result of a bad slave cylinder. Basically, the clutch was always dragging. Reverse eventually was next to impossible to shift into with the motor running. First was tough also and the 3-4 shift was a bit rugged.

GM said my slave cylinder was leaking down and allowing the clutch to drag. They said the flywheel was completely blue from heat. Fortunately I had just enough warranty to get a new slave cylinder and flywheel. No more problems.
Ummmmm he said A4 as in automatic.