Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Removing clutch fork while tranny is still in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 01:38 PM

Removing clutch fork while tranny is still in?

New clutch installed, shimmed flywheel(guy machining recommended it), bolted everything back and fired it up... then noticed the grinding sound when clutch is fully pressed.
I am assuming the fork is hitting PP by going off of some searches on here, and the shim might be possible to blame.

Before I go back downstairs after cooling off from frustration, can the bolt holding the fork in places be reached by just sliding the fork out, with out pulling back the trans? really not wanting to unbolt everything again

edit: nevermind. found someone asking the same thing and everyone said you couldn't

Last edited by Chevycobb; 01-31-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:44 PM

I assume the flywheel was surfaced? I think several people have been okay with out shimming the flywheel. I'd do some searching on it just to be certain.

I feel your pain on the clutch issues....hehe, this is the 3rd or 4th time I've had mine out in 3 weeks. I can say this....the tranny jack I picked up at northern tool has been well worth the money. It was ~200, but the ability to pitch the angle up and down has been a blessing.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ACE1252
I assume the flywheel was surfaced? I think several people have been okay with out shimming the flywheel. I'd do some searching on it just to be certain.

I feel your pain on the clutch issues....hehe, this is the 3rd or 4th time I've had mine out in 3 weeks. I can say this....the tranny jack I picked up at northern tool has been well worth the money. It was ~200, but the ability to pitch the angle up and down has been a blessing.
yeah the flywheel was resurfaced. He had to take a good bit off of it, and thats why he gave me the shim.

I went back down there to take a look at the fork. I pulled it off the TO bearing and there is some metal dust in there where it was grinding. I dont have it in me to pull it back out to take it off today. that damn bolt at the top right of the trans pisses me off to know end. at least i only have to slide it back enough to get to that bolt holding the fork on.