Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Rear end question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:14 PM

Rear end question

So we have been off and on building a 67 camaro, its finally welded, going for final body work and in the paint booth.

We had an open 10 bolt on this car we are not using again. I found a 67-69 10 bolt with 4:11 gears and the eaton posi unit. It looks like a nice piece. So we are off the rotisserie and on jack stands in the paint booth and want to get the rear end on when we roll it to the lift, I just put the rear on the stand to check it and there is alot of slop in the pinion. I put white grease on the gears and the pattern is nice, but there is definitely in and out slop with the pinion. The pinion nut came off with a pretty weak impact wrench, tapped off the yoke and there was no crush sleeve. I am looking at kits and it says crush sleeve if required. Dont all 10 inch rear ends use crush sleeves? I figure to get a couple, just torque a new pinion nut, see if I can get some preload torque with a beam wrench and then double check the pattern again. Since its a used rear end I dont know if someone stopped before they were finished or if they used it like this, which would have me worried about bearings, races and the pinion itself. There is just slop, maybe 4 degrees before the pinion gear touches the ring gear.

Now I drag raced with a ford 9" that was professionally set up that was so tight I wondered how much horsepower it took just to start it to turn, but never really saw a properly setup 10 inch.

So for now, it looks like maybe they stopped working on this and never had it on the street, but the main question was did every 10 inch have a crush sleeve and does it make sense to just try putting that back or should I go thru this whole thing.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:19 PM

Re: Rear end question

yes every stock 10 bolts had crush sleeves (a lot of racers use a solid bushing and set it up with shims to get the proper preload)
But in your case you sated there is no shim or crush sleeve so my guess the is not a complete set up or the person who set up the rear did not know what they were doing.. i would def have this checked out before installed