Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Rear axel bearing replacement on a Z28 1999

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 02:52 AM

Question Rear axel bearing replacement on a Z28 1999

Seeing as this is the only place I can get good advice I have another question
I have had noise form the rear end for some time now and it is slowly getter worse, my best guess is that it is the rear axel bearings.
The only repair manual I have is for Camaros up to 1998 and shows drum brakes.
How difficult would it be for me to replace them my self and do I need a bearing puller?
Old 04-24-2005, 06:47 AM

Re: Rear axel bearing replacement on a Z28 1999

I found out my passenger side axle bearing was bad a few months ago.

My mechanic took off the wheel and the brake assembly, disconnected the driveshaft, then pulled the axle out and determined the bad bearing had chewed up the axle, and I needed a new one.

I wouldn't attempt to do this yourself. I'm sure there's plenty of rear wheel drive cars in the U.K. and their axles shouldn't be any different from ours. Take it to a shop and see what they say.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:15 AM

Question Re: Rear axel bearing replacement on a Z28 1999

Originally Posted by SFB767
I wouldn't attempt to do this yourself. I'm sure there's plenty of rear wheel drive cars in the U.K. and their axles shouldn't be any different from ours. Take it to a shop and see what they say.
Thanks, I called the only Chevy garage that we have here and he only realy works on Corvets but he said he could do the work.
He pointed out that if my 1999 Z28 was anything like a new Corvete axle then it was a simple job but he would have to replace the half shafts and the bearings, even if the half shafts were OK because they come as 1 piece and at £300 ($approx 500) each it would not be cheep.
Is he mistaken or can I buy just the bearings, how much would this repair cost in the US?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:01 AM

Mine cost me $479 because the bad bearing chewed up my axle, making it bad according to my mechanic.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:48 PM

Changing the rear wheels bearings isn't difficult but will require some mechanical experience. There is a major difference between Corvette rears and ours and if your guy at the Chevy house didn't know that I would be worried. The Corvette has an independent rear end where ours are solid axles, our cars don't have half shafts. The easiest way to do the job is to remove the wheel and brake assembly including rotor. Then take off the rear diff cover, remove the small bolt and push the pin out. Remove the c-clip by pushing in on the axle and it should drop out. Then you can carefully slide out the axle to expose the bearing in the axle tube. Take out the bearing and seal and just replace it. Look at your axle to see how much scarring was done where the bad bearing was riding. If it is really chewed up then you would have to get a new axle, if not then just slide is back in, put in the c-clip, pin and bolt and assemble everything back up.

Anthony
Old 04-25-2005, 03:25 PM

Thumbs up Re: Rear axel bearing replacement on a Z28 1999

Thanks ulakovic22,
I have ordered a Haynes repair manual and when it arrives ( 2 weeks from the USA) I will take it with your very helpful instructions to the dealer and ask him for a quote.
Your instructions are very detailed and, I am sure he will be abble to follow them.
He is very well known in this part of the UK for restoring classic Corvettes but tries not to get too involved with Camaros.
The old manual that I have (1993 - 1997) says that you need a bearing puller to do complete the job, will I still need one for my 1999?
Old 04-25-2005, 04:02 PM

Yes, you will need some sort device to get the old bearing out since it is pressed/hammered in. When I did mine I just used a slide hammer that had a hook at the end of it and went around the inside of the bearing lightly tapping it out. I'm sure you can rent one from an auto parts store that way you don't have to buy one. Also the Haynes manual should be fine and have all the instructions you need for your mechanic to do the job, but the dealership should also have something like All Data or Mitchell's or something equivalent I think it is called Dealer World. It's a computer program that has every single car and instructions on how to do stuff. Good Luck.

Anthony
Old 04-25-2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by UK_chevyV8
Thanks ulakovic22,
The old manual that I have (1993 - 1997) says that you need a bearing puller to do complete the job, will I still need one for my 1999?

Yes, you will. I know a lot of parts stores around here will rent them (a slide hammer with a bearing puller attachment).

It's extremely easy. I'll walk you through it. If you have any questions, hit me up on PM or ICQ at 3268068.

1) jack up rear of car and support with jackstands.
2) remove wheel of offending axle
3) remove diff cover and drain fluid.
4) remove brakes and rotor (if you need help with this, msg me)
5) Now is where it gets fun. There's a bolt holding the 'paddle' in your rear end. Rotate your driveshaft until you see this 'paddle'. You remove this bolt and slide the paddle out of the carrier. (again, if you need more details, msg me)
6) GENTLY push axle inward
7) Recover c-clip that should fall out of the dif carrier (this holds the axle in, so don't lose it or break it)
8) Pull axle out
9) When the axle gets to the end of the housing, use the axle to pop out the grease seal
10) Use bearing puller to remove old bearing
11) Install axle repair bearing (just ask for one at parts store) by using a comprable size socket and a hammer
12) Installation is the reverse of removal.

Some helpful hints:

Put the new bearing assembly in the freezer for 24 hours or so. It'll make installing it a LOT easier.

Also soak the bearing in some clean oil prior to installation.

Like I said, if you have any questions, please ask me.

Also, if anyone has a pic of the torsen diff exposed so he can see what the paddle is, PLEASE post it.

I mean, _I_ know what I mean, but it's hard to verbally describe it to someone else

Good luck!!!
Dan
Old 04-27-2005, 01:44 PM

Unhappy Re: Rear axel bearing replacement on a Z28 1999

Thanks to everyone for you help, I have shown the instructions to my Corvette dealer and he says he should be able to fix it in 2 or 3 hours but he also said that the sound was quite bad and it may be something else like a bearing in the dif, anyway if its the axle bearing its going to cost around £200 inc parts and tax, if its not then who knows!