Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Not your typical "need clutch advice" thread...help me decide...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 01:26 AM

Not your typical "need clutch advice" thread...help me decide...

A year ago I bought a SPEC Stage II clutch for my stock LT1. 800 miles later (few weeks) I spun a rod bearing. Well, I got a bit carried away on this rebuild, and now have an engine that when togother should be putting down 425-445 rwhp according to the company porting my heads. That far exceeds the 450 flywheel HP that this clutch is rated for.

The flywheel is fine, just needs to be cleaned off. The Pressure Plate is SPOTLESS, and the clutch disc itself is in about perfect shape as well.

What is my best option here? Run this clutch that I paid $425 for knowing that it's under-rated? I called SPEC and they said their ratings are a bit conservative, and as long as I'm not dumping it at redline on slicks it will be fine, esp. on the street. So, I could just run this clutch til it's worn out, but I'd be overpowering it in the higher RPM's I would think.

Should I just try and sell the clutch disc itself, keep the pressure plate, and get a Stage III or other brand clutch disc and run this same pressure plate? SPEC also said that up until recently, the Stage 2 and Stage 3 pressure plates were different, but they're the same now. So, mine does not have the same clamping force as a stage 3, so I don't know if a stage 3 disc would make any difference since I only have stage 2 clamping force.

I could also buy from SPEC a hybrid disc that they have, $169. Kevlar on the flywheel side and Carbon on the pressure plate side. It's a full faced design and not a puck like the Stage 3. Supposedly better than the stage 2, not quite stage 3, and a bit more street friendly, being a full face design.

Should I sell the whole clutch assembly and buy a complete new one for my car like a Stage III or McLeod Street Twin? What would my old setup be worth, and think anyone would actually buy it?

Does the McLeod Street Twin's flywheel have the same exact balance as my stock flywheel? Because I already had my rotating assembly balanced with my stock flywheel, and if I went that route, I'd HATE to throw off my balance and waste that money.

This sucks. I'm going to lose money either way.

Thanks,
--Dave
Old 04-26-2004, 09:35 AM

i would honestly say run that clutch till its gone you have it they say its "underated" and you only ake that peak power up in higher rpm's so if you are on the street you aren't maxing the clutch out anyways. don't know the differences in clutches sorry. and no matter what you do with a vehicle you loose money as soon as we all learn that the more we can dump into our cars
good luck with your decision
Old 04-27-2004, 12:15 AM

Yeah that is very true. I'm just wondering if I'm going to burn it up quick-like and be out money, where-as I could have maybe sold it and recouped some money towards a Stage III or Street Twin.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:00 PM

ttt
Old 04-27-2004, 10:51 PM

have you tried calling Texas Speed Perf, with all the shops in TX, you should be able to find someone to answer your question.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by zoomjrl
have you tried calling Texas Speed Perf, with all the shops in TX, you should be able to find someone to answer your question.
Naw, I figured I'd get the opinions of people who wouldn't be trying to sell me a clutch first.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:52 AM

I just installed the hybrid clutch. According to Spec, it should easily hold. If you're thinking of going this way, IMO it will work well. That said, the Stage 2 you have will probably work too. You've already paid for it, and it's not broken. If it were me, I'd put that thing in and use it until it goes. Save your money.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by Dave88LX
Naw, I figured I'd get the opinions of people who wouldn't be trying to sell me a clutch first.
Those guys have been very helpfull, polite and professional every time I've called. I only order by phone, cause I've had issues with their website. I usually order most of my stuff from a guy locally. Its been a big help talking to someone with so much experience. Neither have tried to "sell" me anything.
That guy that I order from's website is:
www.performancepartsoutlet.com
Old 05-03-2004, 01:41 AM

I think what I'm going to do is try and sell off this Stage II I have, and buy a Stage III. McLeod is on backorder it seems.

I'll check out that site too.

I know a dealer that will get me the StageIII for $480 SHIPPED, so that's probably the route that I will take...