Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Not impressed with the Pro 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 10:19 PM

Unhappy Not impressed with the Pro 5.0

Ok, Ill try and make this as concise as possible...

The shifter is awesome for daily driving. I have never had a problem shifting while just driving easy/cruising/whatever you wanna call it.

However...

I have very little confidence in my shifts when im grabbing gears at WOT. I havent done that many WOT blasts since Ive bought it and I have already missed a gear 3 times with it... not just missing the gear either, but finding the wrong one After downshifting at 5k rpm while WOT twice, I thought it just must be user error... but I concentrate on finding the right gear really hard, and I still found the wrong one again today. Im really glad I have good reflexes, and am able to get off the gas and stab the clutch in .3 seconds for the sake of my car.

Anyway... I was dragracing it today, and my shifts are so slow its pathetic. I could shift fast, but IM TIRED of it downshifting and hence im overly careful. I NEVER missed and downshifted with the stock POS unit... why does it keep happening with the Pro 5.0?

Im really ready to rip it out and put the stock one back on. Its just not worth blowing the motor...

oh yea, this has happened on the 2-3 shift, and the 3-4 shift... surprisingly more-so the 3-4 shift.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 05-08-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:25 PM

hmmm, i hope u just got a bad unit or something because i just picked one up in the gp. I really haven't heard of anyone on here that didn't like it, maybe its the operator jk man, i hope you get it worked out
Old 05-08-2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by zx1216
hmmm, i hope u just got a bad unit or something because i just picked one up in the gp. I really haven't heard of anyone on here that didn't like it, maybe its the operator jk man, i hope you get it worked out
I got mine through the gp as well... and trust me, I thought it was me the first two times... but I keep thinking to myself (as im shifting fast) "dont miss... dont miss.... dont miss..." and I miss But if I shift slow and make sure, Ill never miss.

Basically, it is user error... but I cant believe how easy this shifter makes it for the user to err

I think im going to engineer something when I go to college that electronically prevents you from downshifting

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 05-08-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28
I got mine through the gp as well...
actually it was a different gp...not that that matters
Old 05-08-2004, 11:50 PM

yea, i haven't got mine yet so i i'm not sure, i think it may have a 30 day money back thing if you don't like it, maybe you can exchange it for a new one.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:06 AM

Please keep us informed on how this ends up, both of you. I've been tossing around the idea of getting one for awhile now, but I might shy from it if they all do this..
Old 05-09-2004, 12:39 AM

I hated the Pro 5.0 I had.

I never had a problem with shift accuracy, but then again, I never had a problem with it on the stock POS or the stock Hurst. The Pro 5.0 was notchy, rattly, noisy as hell (yes, even with a custom gasket,) and irritating. The throws aren't much better than a stock Hurst (with the stock stick even,) but with a LOT more noise and a notchier feel.

I sold the thing to a kid, got the Hurst for free off someone with a '01 WS6, and haven't looked back. The shifting is just as good and it's dead silent.

Some people love the Pro 5.0. Some don't like it at all. I fall into the latter, and don't recommend it.
Old 05-09-2004, 07:13 AM

*Shrugs*.. I don't know what you people are doing... I've had mine for over 3 years and never really had any issues... Especially mis-shifting...

I'm willing to bet it's operator error, and not liking the very close shifting pattern. That I've known to screw people up. Going from a nice liberal wide pattern to a tight narrow pattern can make for faster shifts, but you have to train your arm to do it properly... can't just slop the shifter around and expect it to work properly.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:36 AM

well I just thought of something... maybe its the torque of the car throwing me off. By that I mean when Im going WOT the shifter is moved over roughly a 1/2" - 3/4" from the torque of the car. So im probably prepared for the shift at WOT but then when I let off the tranny moves the shifter and I find the wrong one since the gears are only 1/2" apart. That would explain why I have never had a problem at everyday cruising speeds. But then again, I never had a problem with the stock unit.

edit: no that cant be it... If that were so, I would have a problem with upshifting too far instead of downshifting since the shifter moves to the right under WOT. Is it normal for the shifter to move like that under WOT? maybe I need a firmer tranny mount
Old 05-09-2004, 10:27 AM

It is different than stock, give yourself some time to get used to it and you'll like it. I love mine, but thats just my opinion. Good luck with it. -Rob
Old 05-09-2004, 01:39 PM

Congratulations! You are the 1st person that I've ever heard of that has managed to miss the 2-3 shift with the Pro 5.0! Keep practicing grasshopper. Perhaps you could be gripping your shift **** too tight. The more relaxed you are, the better the shift.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:22 PM

When I first got my pro 5.0 I missed 2-3 a couple times, but you get used to it, it is far different from stock, therefore you cant drive it like the stocker... Be more relaxed as said above, it really does help with the shifts...
Old 05-09-2004, 03:43 PM

I love my stock hurst.

even more with the luos short stick.

I think its imposible to miss a shift with both, it jsut knows where to go and goes there.

I can shift real fast, but I cant launch worth a crap
Old 05-09-2004, 05:30 PM

Ok, I dont think this has anything to do with it, but that glue thats in the shifter has become a liquid now
Old 05-09-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by carlos64030
Congratulations! You are the 1st person that I've ever heard of that has managed to miss the 2-3 shift with the Pro 5.0! Keep practicing grasshopper.
trust me... I was beating my head on a wall after doing that. Call me an idiot all you want, I deserve it

edit: I might add that it never happens during normal driving... only WOT somehow. I dont like "practicing" WOT blasts if you will, because I want my car to last a long time... and that wont happen when it keeps downshifting at 5k rpms.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 05-09-2004 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Not impressed with the Pro 5.0