Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Need serious help - 4L60/4L60E??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:31 PM

Question Need serious help - 4L60/4L60E??

i just purchased a 1994 z28 wit a lt1. the car use to be a standard then changed to a automatic at one point. The whoe guage cluster does not work and im having problems finding a passing gear cable. also all wires to transmition are hanging and some look cut. coud that be from when they swaped trans and why nothing is working? no wires are plugged into trans??
Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Re: Need serious help

If they installed the correct transmission (4L60E) there is no TV cable. EVERYTHING is electronically controlled. Sounds like they may have put in a 4L60/700R4 without the electronic shift interface for the PCM. Have you scanned it for codes? Should come up with quite a few for the disconnected tranny wires.

Dash cluster may have been disabled or have a blown fuse. The only thing on the dash that relates to the tranny is the speedometer. That is driven by the PCM (computer) which gets the speed signal from the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) on the tranny tailshaft housing. The tach is driven off the PCM, dependent on the cam position data from the Optispark distributor. The fuel level, coolant temp, oil pressure and system voltage gauges are all direct connected to sensors with no interface to the PCM or the tranny.

Do you know if the PCM has been reflashed with an A4 program, or is it still running the M6 program?

Sounds like a real butcher job.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:38 AM

i havent put any machines or scanners on car. just traded my 00 crown vic p71 for this camaro. i put a new torque converter and new header gaskets. the only problems left is alternator and these two problems i asked. so with the passing gear cable do i got to the chevy house for it no junk yards or auto zone around can get it. any websites?? and how do i go about the guages and wires cut?? got insurance and in my name just need it to pass inspection.Any ideas.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Administrator

If you can't find a cable connection on the trans, its a 4L60E. In that case, there is no passing gear cable. You have to hook up all the wiring to the PCM. Here's the wiring diagram, courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/1995_pcm7.jpg

That's for a 95. There may be some minor differences for a 94, because the 94 4L60E uses a switched torque converter lockup, and the 95 and up use a pulse width modulated (PWM) converter control.

You need to find out which trans is in the car before you can start "fixing" things.

This part of the problem should be posted on the "Drivetrain" forum, not on "General...... Tech".

For the dash, you need to check the fuse - have you done that?

The dash wiring can remain here. I'll copy this to the "Drivetrain" forum, so hopefully you can get some help there - but traffic is limited.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:59 PM

Re: Need serious help - 4L60/4L60E??

ok so ive been asking for a 94 cable so since it does have a cable that snaped when installing torque converter ask for a 93 4l60 have the cabe correct?had no clue what trans was in it but it is the one with the tv cable.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:10 PM

i snapped the cable pullin tranny. so yes it has one. so i need a 4l60700r4 cable correct? so i can get it of a 93 z28? and so hopefully its a fuse for the whole guage cluster but how is the speedometer hooked up? there is nothing hooked up to tranny like that but car drives the tv cable isnt on but it is rolling
Old 03-13-2011, 10:36 PM
Administrator

93 TV cable, with part #'s, courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/tv_cable.jpg

You will need a 93 throttle body, with the pin for the TV cable on the quadrant.

You need a VSS on the tranny tailshaft housing, and a 40-tooth reluctor gear on the output shaft for the sensor to read. Then you need to make sure the PCM has an A4 program in it, and have the 4L60E interface codes programmed out of it. Read this - it has a photo of the VSS typically used on a 4L60/4L60E, and a picture of the 40-tooth reluctor:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/V8-chapte...ed-Sensors.pdf

This is the same sensor on a T56:

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo...n/T56Conns.jpg