Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Missing bolt in differential...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 10:22 AM
dtp

Missing bolt in differential...

Last time I had my car's differential serviced (98 Z), apparently the mechanics left out one bolt (bolt holding casing on/applying pressure to gasket). Without removing another bolt, is there a way for me to figure out what kind of bolt it is so I can get a replacement in case I want to change the differential fluid myself? (it's my daily driver)
Old 08-07-2005, 10:34 AM

Re: Missing bolt in differential...

just go by a dealer and ask for the bolt. an auto parts store may know. however, there's no problem in removing one bolt to see. it shouldn't leak at all with one more bolt out. just remove the bolt opposite the one that's missing. you'd be better off having someone tell you though than trying to eyeball it.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:34 AM

take another one out from up top and goto a hardware store, they should have a little thing there that will measure thread count.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:24 PM
dtp

Thanks. Off to the hardware store...
Old 08-07-2005, 05:28 PM

Are you sure it is missing, when I used to work at a dealer, sometimes the other techs. would snap the bolts off in the housing and would not say anything to the customer. Otherwise, as posted above, just go to the dealer and buy another bolt.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:29 PM

I dunno where your skill lies on the line but don't overtighten it. You'll warp the housing and it'll leak.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Silver
I dunno where your skill lies on the line but don't overtighten it. You'll warp the housing and it'll leak.
It lies on a flat surface so there's nothing to warp, he'd break the head of the bolt off before he caused other damage...that's unless he cross threaded it some how.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kataklysm
It lies on a flat surface so there's nothing to warp, he'd break the head of the bolt off before he caused other damage...that's unless he cross threaded it some how.
Most of us use gaskets. Gaskets made of non-metal materials. I don't feel like going into the physics of this, but you can warp the cover if you go nuts with the bolts. Morons with 3/4 sockets and steriod addiction can attest to this.

:blah:

Last edited by Silver; 08-08-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:03 AM
dtp

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Are you sure it is missing, when I used to work at a dealer, sometimes the other techs. would snap the bolts off in the housing and would not say anything to the customer. Otherwise, as posted above, just go to the dealer and buy another bolt.
Ya, either it's missing or they broke off the very tip of the bolt. The hole it goes in is not threaded until about an inch into it. So I'm guess the bolt that goes there is not completely threaded. I can actually see threads so I think they just left it out and I'll ask for another one...
Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by dtp
Ya, either it's missing or they broke off the very tip of the bolt. The hole it goes in is not threaded until about an inch into it. So I'm guess the bolt that goes there is not completely threaded. I can actually see threads so I think they just left it out and I'll ask for another one...
Sounds like the threads are pulled..[as in gone] If I recall correctly the bolts are only about an inch long and threaded all the way..
Old 08-10-2005, 01:18 PM
dtp

Originally Posted by Mtrhds94Z
Sounds like the threads are pulled..[as in gone] If I recall correctly the bolts are only about an inch long and threaded all the way..

I guess I'll have to check. Ah... Gotta love GM service... I hope it's not stripped threads. Either way, I'm getting the dealership to fix this. I don't pay money to have threads stripped and bolts left out...
Old 08-12-2005, 08:19 PM
dtp

Originally Posted by Mtrhds94Z
Nope I yanked another bolt out and the threads don't start until a little over a 1/2" and I was able to take that bolt and thread it into where the missing bolt was. I'll just ask the dealership to put another bolt in there tomorrow. I'm sort of glad cause I have a feeling they would try to charge me for rethreading the hole even though it was their fault in the first place...