Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

McLeod Street Twin Issues pedal changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:12 AM

McLeod Street Twin Issues pedal changes

Hi guys,

I have a Street Twin installed in my 95 lt1. The setup has maybe 3000-4000 miles, maybe less.

I have had the clutch for a few years before I got this car running. But here are my issues:

I am having pedal engagement changes over time. Meaning the clutch works normal and engages 1/2 way to 3/4 of the way up much like a stock clutch and works great. But then sitting at an intersection for a short period of time with the pedal depressed or having to ride the clutch in traffic it seems that I loose hydraulic pressure and two things happen:

1) the clutch wants to fully release right off the floor
2) the pedal feels like half the travel (the upper half) is loose. Then the pressure recovers after a couple of seconds or if I pump it a few times and works ok until I push the clutch and keep it in again.

If I come to a light and put the car in neutral, clutch released, then when the light goes green I press it and put it in gear and leave its OK. But if I hold it for a bit or have to ride it in traffic its brutal.

It kind of did this from day1. I had a bit of a hard time bleeding it and I did a bunch of searching and all I could do is invert the slave cylinder on the bottom and pump it. That worked to get the car driving but I can't get rid of this problem.

SO I am thinking I either have some air in the system still, or my master (which is a mcleod pc) is not holding pressure, or its the slave cylinder (stock) on bottom.

Any suggestions? Should I try to find a McLeod [part number 139024] or is that not gonna help my problem? At least I may be able to bleed it better.
I can't even find any pics of this setup anywhere.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM

Re: McLeod Street Twin Issues pedal changes

its either a leaking master or slave. does your fluid level go down over time? if it doesnt, its the master. if it does, find out where its leaking, could be either. if youre running the stock master, im gonna put my money on that, especially with a stiffer clutch. mine went out at 48k miles on a pretty much stock car. if you want that thing to last, make sure you change your fluid every 2 years. i dont think gm says anything about it, but its brake fluid. after 2 years, it has water in it, and starts eating your master cyl seals. seems like the right thing to do is upgrade the master. i didnt have the money when mine went out, so i got a duralast. its got a lifetime warranty, so when it goes out again, ill get a refund and get a quality one