Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

High Stall Torque Converter vs Taller Rear End Ratio.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:31 PM

High Stall Torque Converter vs Taller Rear End Ratio.

SO I'm at my next stage in "mild" performance upgrades on my '97 Z with A4. I was considering a taller rear end or higher stall torque converter. But then this came to mind.
The LT1 already has more than enough torque to break the rear tires free with stock converter. Since the high stall converter allows a higher PRM before launch...wouldn't this be a moot point since I'd need to let off on throttle to keep from spinning the tires anyway? I'm on street tires. After the car is moving, the high stall torque converter acts normally right?
SInce my objective is quicker acceleration on street tires, I'm thinking a taller rear end ratio (say 3.43 or 3.73:1) may be better for me.
Opinions?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:32 PM

Re: High Stall Torque Converter vs Taller Rear End Ratio.

Forgot to add that I have upgraded to a Flowmaster cat back exhaust and CAI so far. Possibly plans for a header system as soon as I can find one that allows EASY access to all the plugs and don't break the bank.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:07 PM

If you plan on doing any major work in the future ex. cam your going to need a converter anyway, Id get one and drop that extra half second or two.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:41 PM

Agreed, converter sure makes my auto more fun.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:35 PM

Ok, seems like that's the better choice. Now how do I keep from breaking the tires loose with the A4 tranny? Even on a dry road, I can break the tires loose with as little as 2500 RPM. Wouldn't a high stall converter do the same? I'm not planning on using the expensive super-sticky tires, just the good all-around Z-rated radial...possibly the Fuzion.

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:38 PM

You'll rip them loose with a higher stall on street tires regardless. You'll need at least a Nitto or BFG drag radial to hold it down. I went with E/T Streets.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:51 AM

Converters are what give autos their edge!, Get a higher stall, and 3.42's/3.73's..

Why not just buy Nittos? nothin too "fancy"
Old 03-30-2005, 10:39 AM

I would do both. Get a stall and 3.73's. I just installed my 3000 stall and 4.10 gears and love them both. I can't wait til the track opens in a week to see how much I gained from it.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:26 PM

I would do both as well.
I run 3.73s with a 2800 stall. Its alot of fun.
A good sticky tire is the best solution for your traction problems. A street type tire will never hook up.
Nitto DRs are the best compromise for decent traction and longevity.
Its a tough compromise, no traction or traction with a tire that don,t last very long.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:32 PM

4.11s and a 3000 stall here. Going to a bigger (4000+) stall as soon as money affords it. Too much fun
Old 03-30-2005, 11:42 PM

While I've still yet to drive a car with a stall, I'm beginning to think that's the way to go instead of gears (if you're going to do 1 OR the other). I've gone through every gear set possible pretty much (well, except 3.23's or 3.42's!) and right now I've put the 2.73's back in so I can get some fuel mileage back (I'm going to be doing a lot of highway driving this summer! )...

...I'd like to try a stall even with the 2.73's. I think it would help off the line, but as long as you get a lock-up converter, you can still maintain your fuel mileage while you're cruising! Just be sure to add a tranny cooler is all.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
...I'd like to try a stall even with the 2.73's. I think it would help off the line, but as long as you get a lock-up converter, you can still maintain your fuel mileage while you're cruising! Just be sure to add a tranny cooler is all.
That's the combo I am running right now! I am only doing it this way because I am slowly transitioning from daily driver to weekend play vehicle, when I am not going to be driving it everyday the lower gaers are going in!

BTW, Don't go too high on the stall. I had mine built for 3500 stall with 3.73 gears and since I didn't put the 3.73's in yet I am getting about a 4000 stall flash! Talk about roasting the tires!
Old 03-31-2005, 10:51 AM

Hello all,

I did both mildly higher stall and new gears. The gears (2.73 to 3.73) made little difference to my ET and no difference in mileage. Being a 383 the torque at the starting line did not need the higher gear but I think a 350 might benefit more. The higher stall may have lost me some mileage but I did not have a before and after with that change alone. The 2600 stall is about perfect for a daily driven car. The Nitto 555 is a really good street tire that gives almost as good a traction as the BFG which does not wear as well from what I've heard. I really liked the Nitto, in any case. Neither was really enough though I have switched to Hoosier quick time pro's and a 4000 stall now but may not drive on the street anymore.

Rick
Old 03-31-2005, 11:30 AM

My auto came with lamo factory 2.73..absolute garbage gear.Would be ok with a stall I guess.The factory 3.23 are much better.
I found a carrier and put in 3.42 gears.Huge difference in fun factor on the street car is already traction limited with the 3.42.On the track with nittos and some minor bolts ons like catback and Cold air and airfoil little stuff the car gained from 15.0 to like 14.3 .The gears were a big part of that gain I am sure adding a catback over the previous runs did a few tenths of that and did a bit of tuning but really the gears had to give me 3 or four tenths and the car is much snappier around town and fine on the highway.3.73 is pushing it no the highway and 4.10 would really be not that great to me but everyone has different level of how high they want to rev in overdrive and how fast they drive on the highway.I might have went for 3.73 but the 3.42 were gm gears and gm gears are usually very quiet even when used.And had them mounted in the carrier since 2.73 need 3 series carrier or special gears for 2 series.
As for stall I just bought a 2800 vig off the board a few months back.I am sure it will simply destroy the tires the 3.42 already do that and no to be quicker on the street or track will take some nitto drags minimum and some et streets or bfg or something serious ideally.
On the street its just a smoke show..impressive but car is actually slower.Not sure how the stall does from a higher punch and if the tires will take it.Just on street cooper cobra cheapies right now.
On my 400 pontiac 80 with 2400 stall and 3.42 the firehawk indy 500 actually do not that bad.I got I think a 2.08 or something on the street and thats pretty decent.400s are torquey!!
So both fun gears are always there when you step on the gas.The stall is more transparent until you nail it.Then hold on and make sure you have it pointed straight..
Also for street use a 3.42 /2800 combo is likley lots ,my vig is supposed to stall higher than rating..a vig thing.Buddy with 3.23 I think could go a bit higher stall and of course with 3.73 you could go a bit lower.For racing well then you want lots of stall and bigger gears.I can't see how some mags eg the grapes of wrath went from 2.73 like my car to 3.42 and didn't seem to gain anything.Thats hard to believe.When I put 3.42 in my 80 ta over the 3.08 stockers I seemed to also gain a good three to four tenths.Stall knocked it down another three or four tenths or so.Both good mods.