Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

HELP! I think I shattered my clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 02:23 PM

HELP! I think I shattered my clutch!

Ok, well, to make this story short, I was coming down one of the local busy main roads here in Fredericksburg, trying to merge, in my little 87 jeep comanchee beater P/U, and I was in 2nd gear doing about 30.... I slammed the gas pedal down, doin about 40-42mph (around 4400RPMs), I tried quick shifting, not really powershifting, but shifting quick to 3rd, and it went back to first, I realeased the clutch pedal quick, the truck bounced and the engine revved up, as I pushed the pedal back in.

As soon as I did that, the clutch pedal went to the floor, and wouldnt release, and of course, I was screwed as far as putting the SOB in gear... so as I finally merge, I've slowed down, and SLAM the shifter back into 2nd where it stays till I find a turn off point in the shopping center. I'm cruising in 2nd, not stopping and then I notice I have my clutch pedal back, WTF?!?! Then the damn thing gives out and starts slipping real bad so I find a parking place and park it.

Me and my buddy walk over near where my other buddy works and let it cool off for about a good 15-20 minutes, come back, start it up, push the clutch pedal down, put it in gear, realease the clutch pedal, and the jeep barely wants to move.

My question?? WHAT THE HELL DID I DO?!?! Alot of people are telling me I just severed the clutch, others tell me there's still a clutch left otherwise I wouldnt be able to put it in gear, with the engine running, and the clutch totally engaged. I talked to a buddy of mine that said the same thing happened to him and it was just his pedal fell out of adjustment and he pulled off, had it towed, and adjusted it, good as new... you guys are my last resort before I take it apart and really get myself into a mess... thanks in advance, I sure do appreciate it!!!

~Jon
Old 10-07-2003, 03:40 PM

same thing happened to me in my '97 3.8L 5spd camaro....clutch pedal fell out, while cruising at about 65mph, and then it lost contact so i pulled off the road, stopped the car, pushed the pedal down and it was good again. Now the shifter is hard to move but will engage into 4th gear only and drive the car barely chugging but makin' it. I am wondering why only the 3 first gears and 5th are bad, but 4th will drive it. i duuno..
Old 10-07-2003, 10:13 PM

yea, i duno man, I just towed it home today, and its pretty late so I'll dig into it tomorrow evening if I have time... its weird tho, its like, when I put it in gear now and the engine is running and I let off the clutch its making a whining sound??? I duno, somethin definately isnt right but that's what its doin.... damn jeeps