Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

HELP... 94 A4 to M6 conversion.... with a twist lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 PM

HELP... 94 A4 to M6 conversion.... with a twist lol

So my friend and I both have 94 A4 setups in our cars. I had a blown tranny for a while caused by a bad tune in my car…. Don’t ask… He had smoke rolling out of cylinder 4 on his engine... Well not smoke, but oil pouring into it from extreme vacuum from his procharger. So we were looking at a new tranny and a new engine for the year and came across another 94 Camaro M6 that was beat to ****, but had a working engine and shifted great. So we decided to part out the car and save the engine and tranny

What we did was take the transmission and engine from the donor car and installed them in his car. Then we took his working A4 and put it in mine. My car was up and running in 24 hours. Sweet deal. His car was a battle, but we got it complete.

So here is where the fun begins… We kept his PCM and harness in his car because it was tuned for boost and we had a valid license for LT1Edit for it. While doing the swap we noticed some weird things:
1. the wiring looked jury rigged
2. the PCM vin did not match the vehicle PCM
3. the floor board where the T56 shifter came through looked like it was hacked by a blind woodsman
4. the valve covers on the engine looks weird (but were original to the engine), and the oil pressure sensor was hooked up differently
So I ran the VIN to the PCM and it came from a 94 Camaro that was crashed in December 1994 (what a sad end to that car, not even a year old).

We also found some part numbers on the valve covers and the oil pressuse sensor was in a spot specific to only the 92 corvette lt1.

The VIN on the windshield said the car was a 94 Z28 A4.

So our donor car was originally an automatic z28, but now has a 92 corvette engine, with a 94 M6 PCM

So all wired up the car throws off a few codes because it thinks it is a manual.

We did not setup the skip shift or the reverse lockout

How in the hell do you use LT1Edit to reprogram his A4 PCM to a M6 PCM. We have the PCMRead from the M6 and can compare the changes with his A4, but the transmission changes we make in the A4 to tell it to be a M6 never seems to save.

Also if the engine is a 92 lt1, what differences will there be using a 94 PCM if any. I know the 93 lt1’s had a few differences but I was unsure of the 92’s
Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM

Re: HELP... 94 A4 to M6 conversion.... with a twist lol

You use Edit/Gear/Tire menu and it has a choice for which car it is and what transmission you have. Go to the next menu, set your gears, etc. and don't forget to hit the Apply button. Then go in there and disable CAGS, etc. Or just get on line and find a M6 program to work with.

Almost forgot to mention the Corvette LT1s had composite valve covers which are pretty desirable, so if they are in good shape, you should use them instead of the crummy tin ones as long as the holes are in the right places. If not go on the forums and see what they're selling for and make a few bucks.

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 03-30-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:10 AM

92 lt1? Get that sucker out of a vette?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Freak86
92 lt1? Get that sucker out of a vette?
It must have come out of one at some point. But if you reread about the car it came from, it was not an original car
Old 04-13-2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
You use Edit/Gear/Tire menu and it has a choice for which car it is and what transmission you have. Go to the next menu, set your gears, etc. and don't forget to hit the Apply button. Then go in there and disable CAGS, etc. Or just get on line and find a M6 program to work with.
Do I need to use a fresh image to change the gears/tire screen though? It warns not to change it with a current flash because it will rescale all 600 tables

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
Almost forgot to mention the Corvette LT1s had composite valve covers which are pretty desirable, so if they are in good shape, you should use them instead of the crummy tin ones as long as the holes are in the right places. If not go on the forums and see what they're selling for and make a few bucks.
We kept them on the engine. only thing we kept from the old engine was the headers, thermo, and supercharger