Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Freakin' Out a Bit (Transmission Fine?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:48 PM

Freakin' Out a Bit (Transmission Fine?)

So if you read my signature you'll know where my car sits at right now with mileage and wear and tear. I'll go over a quick story to explain my transmission right now.

First off, it's a 4 speed automatic W/OD. When I first bought the car it was two quarts low of tranny fluid and the fluid itself was a bit dirty. So quickly after purchasing it I topped off the fluid. Three weeks later I managed to swap out my transmission mount and get a full service tranny flush. Don't worry, I only drove about 300 miles in between that service.

Now before I did either part of that work, I did notice a small slip from 3rd to 4th gear, while getting on the highway. No big deal, since it doesn't seem to be hurting or damaging the transmission. As in, it will jump up roughly 200 hundred RPM's before it drops into overdrive.

However, after doing a couple long, few hour highway drives...when getting back into the city, I noticed something. After the tranny has been warmed, 1st to 2nd gear shifts nice and smooth. It shifts...well not so hard when cold but rather it feels kind of like the transmission is trying to "launch" the car. Same thing happened with my old Cavalier Z24. I never noticed it to be a problem, since it seems like all performance oriented transmissions do this.

Back to my point. After getting the car really warmed up and jumping back off the highway, I notice that going from 2nd to 3rd seems like it's a "longer" gear. Is this how it's supposed to be? It still shifts just fine. Smooth and all. It just takes longer to shift. For instance, I'll be in 2nd gear and it takes a few seconds for it to rev up and finally shift. If I get it revved up faster (like I'm taking off quicker) it will shift that much faster. I hope this makes sense to a point.

Last but not least. To help out with my quest on finding out if the transmission is doing what it's supposed to do (considering it has a new tranny mount, clean fluid, filter and gasket) could anyone possibly post up the gear ratio chart for a 93, 3.4 auto please? If possible?

So tell me, is the tranny doing what it's supposed to be doing (besides that small slip getting on the highway of course) or am I just freaking out about it?
Old 12-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Re: Freakin' Out a Bit (Transmission Fine?)

These transmissions are notorious for 3-4 clutch failure, in stock form. 4th gear uses the 2-4 band and the 3-4 clutches. 3rd gear uses the forward and 3-4 clutches. It sounds like you're seeing early signs on 3-4 clutch failure.

Frank