Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Clutch pedal not always coming back up on '02 SS, need diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:30 PM

Clutch pedal not always coming back up on '02 SS, need diagnosis

We have an '02 SS with under 17,000 miles, and the clutch pedal is not always coming up when depressed. The car is 100% factory original and unmodified.

It ONLY happens when the car is stopped at a red light or stop sign and the pedal is held down for a period of time. It never happens when the car is moving and shifting through the gears.

When it happens, the clutch pedal has to be lifted back up by putting your foot underneath it and pulling it up.

The car isn't raced and doesn't live a hard life at all.

From your experience... does this sound like a hydraulic slave cylinder problem, or does it sound like a mechanical release fork/release bearing problem?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Also, the clutch fluid is the fluid that came in the car when purchased November 2001. The level is proper, it isn't leaking, and the color/appearance of the fluid seems fine though it does have a bit of an oily look to the surface.

The clutch isn't making any unusual sounds. It still sounds like a brand new car.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Fixed an 02 WS6 last year with exactly the same problem. It was the slave cylinder. A PITA to replace, but flawless ever since.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:40 PM

I just checked the clutch fluid a little bit ago after doing some research to see what color it is supposed to be, and it is absolutely filthy. It's dark brown with stuff floating in it. I wonder if changing that will correct the entire problem...
Old 02-08-2010, 06:23 PM

Nope. That was the first thing we tried. Be prepared to drop the tranny.
We got a Lifetime warranty unit at AutoZone.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 PM

Since you did the job, could you tell me the number of hours it took you to do it and the approximate costs?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 AM

The slave cylinder was around $100.
Time involved depends on your experience and tools.
The work involved is dropping the tranny, exchanging the part, installing the tranny.
Not trying to be wishy-washy, but we ended up doing it out in the country with all the tools an hour away. Any time we needed something we did not have, it meant a road trip. And we had never dropped a T56 before. So it took a couple of days, all told.
The next time, it will probably only take us 4-6 hours.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 AM

Check under the dash to see if the clutch return spring is still hooked up. Best that I can remember there should be a spring there. Buddy had the end break off of his.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 AM

changing the fluid can make a big difference and its cheap and easy. I would definately give that a try before dropping the whole tranny.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
Check under the dash to see if the clutch return spring is still hooked up. Best that I can remember there should be a spring there. Buddy had the end break off of his.
K, checked that, everything looks brand new down there.

I bet it's just because the fluid is absolutely filthy. I hope at least...
Old 02-11-2010, 06:48 PM

I bet it's just because the fluid is absolutely filthy
Ok, but you have to ask why the fluid is in this condition with such low miles and easy treatment. Sounds like something underlining...
Old 03-19-2010, 07:20 AM

Barngeta

I am having the exact same problem with my 2000 SS which only has 30K miles. Did you change the fluid and if so did it take care of the problem?

Dave
Old 03-19-2010, 12:16 PM

We ended up having the fluid changed AND the clutch, which was very expensive. There was a lot of clutch dust on the starter, so it was evident that the clutch was wearing out.

We're not real sure why the clutch was so badly worn out considering nobody rides the clutch. We think maybe somebody at a dealership had a little too much fun driving the car after an oil change...

Last edited by Brangeta; 03-19-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am going to change my fluid first and see how it responds. Someone else told me about the following link which I found extremely informative. http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

Dave
Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 PM

I saw that link too. Somebody told me about a drill mod that fixes a sticky clutch pedal issue on Camaros, but since I don't own a drill, I never read about it. If I remember the summary, it basically said that the hole for something or other wasn't big enough and if you drill it a little bigger, it fixes the problem.

You might check the underside of your car with a very bright light and see if you have clutch dust all over your starter. Your starter is located on the passenger side of the car on the side of the transmission very close to the catalytic converter if your car is an '02. You'd have to get your entire head under the car to see it, I don't think you could just look under your car and see it.

Here's a pic, keep me updated and what you find.

2 dirty pics, 1 cleaner pic after the guy changed the clutch
Name:  IMG_0004.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  83.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0008.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  92.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0064.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  81.8 KB

Is it just me or does the transmission look like it is mounted funny now?!?! Or is it mounted funny from him checking the clutch earlier...?!?!

Last edited by Brangeta; 03-19-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal not always coming back up on '02 SS, need diagnosis