Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

clutch missing a puck

Old 03-31-2014, 12:23 PM

clutch missing a puck

I am doing a shortblock swap and noticed my Dual Friction Centerforce Stage 3 clutch disk is missing 1 out of 10 of its pucks.. I never had any drive-ability or clutch concerns until now.. The remaining 9 pucks, the flywheel and pressure plate look great.. Tempted to just get a new Centerforce DF clutch and call it a day.. Thoughts?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:00 PM

Re: clutch missing a puck

was it there when you installed it?

if so it had to go "somewhere" if it came off

if it was missing new....CF should replace it

you can also just replace the disc if PP is still good and resurface the FW
Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 PM

Was in the car when I got it.. I was expecting the clutch to be worn out but actually looked very clean and the pressure plate and flywheel both looked in really good shape too.. I will have to look closer at the flywheel not sure if it original or installed w/ the clutch/pressure plate.. I have read mixed reviews about getting flywheel resurfaced and am kind of on the fence.. I can post a high resolution photo of what I am working with.. I was pretty happy with the condition of pressure plate and flywheel compared to some of the ones I have seen.. Seemed to hold up very well except for the missing puck.. To bad otherwise i would just re-use that too..
Old 04-01-2014, 10:21 AM

resurfacing a FW can be done up to 3 times assuming .010-.015 only is taken off each time

maybe the disc was just made wrong and installed. missing just 1 puc would not make a big difference.

If however the puc "came off"... there would be crap inside the bellhousing and signs of wear from debris.

weird yours looks good so maybe it was a manufacturer defect

I have never been onboard with the CF sliding weight thing, especially on a "pull" clutch. If you are happy with the CF, get another disc and have FW resurfaced
Old 04-14-2014, 09:27 AM

Smile Re: clutch missing a puck

I ended up calling Centerforce w/ the issue, they wanted some photos of the clutch and pressure plate.. They gave me a one-time good faith reduced rate on a new Stage 3 clutch and recommended having the flywheel re-surfaced and re-use the pressure plate. The machine shop who resurfaced the flywheel said it was in good shape and I did not need to use a shim. Just got the clutch in today, happy camper..