Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

BULLET PROOF 10 BOLT? You be the judge!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 04:58 PM

BULLET PROOF 10 BOLT? You be the judge!

I like everybody else has distroyed my fair share of 10 bolt differentials! So like everybody else, I optioned to purchase a 12 bolt Moser in place of the weaker 10 bolt. There are a couple of minor issues with room for the 12 bolt not to mention it's larger parts do tend to create more inertia and recipicating mass with the ill effet of lost horse power. After living with it for a year, I bought a used differential out of an early model 1LE and began the R&D to create a bullet proof 10 bolt. Not possible you say? I don't blame you because I was equally as sceptical!

I did a lot of research on axles and found that a full competition axle will not live on the street due to the brittle forging process so I ordered up a set of Moser Street/Strip axles. Then came the center section. Found that there are two different carrier sections for the 10 bolt 7.5 and the stronger of the two is the 2.32 carrier section and also requires a thinker ring gear (more durability!) I optioned for the Richmond gears (ratio of you choice), Richmond Powertracs locker, and Richmond master bearing kit. I installed the Moroso bolt in stud kit. Make sure your tolerences are perfect! Now comes the VooDoo!

The weak point on the 10 bolt isn't just the carrier, it's the axle shaft tubes. They are small and under extreme acceleration pull forward push the ring gear away from the pinion gear causing catastrophic failure. If the ring and pinion gear can maintain perfect contact, then the failure horse power is MUCH HIGHER! So we purchased a Summit Racing Cast aluminum differential cover with the main cap supports. This helps keep the main cap bearings from walking some but not entirely! We sent the diff cover to have supports welded to both end and then welded equal supports to the ends of the axle tubes. This with the main cap support almost eliminates ring gear walk!

I can tell you I've been giving mine hell for a year now lanching the car at 4000 rpm on Mickey Thompson ET Streets and I'm make just under 500 hp at the wheels.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:06 PM

Old 11-25-2006, 05:08 PM

Sounds like a lot of work for 5 rwhp, but nice nonetheless.

Rich
Old 11-25-2006, 05:13 PM

Looks like you have maybe figured out what we've all been looking for. But the sceptics are gonna ask "how much for all that compared to a 12 blot?"

That rear looks awesome!!!
Old 11-25-2006, 05:37 PM

i wish i could keep my underbody that clean

look sgood
Old 11-25-2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis93TA
Looks like you have maybe figured out what we've all been looking for. But the sceptics are gonna ask "how much for all that compared to a 12 blot?"

That rear looks awesome!!!
It was around $750-$850 total.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:43 PM

holly crap. I'm really interested now. I need to do my rear and I'm an auto so i'm sure what you did will be overkill for me!!!
Did you do all the work??
I was thinkin of just puttin on a ta cover until it blew and could afford a 12bolt. But that is in my price range.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:07 PM

great post, good research! ive always thought the 12 bolt was overkill for the street.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:48 PM

very interesting
Old 11-26-2006, 01:37 AM

Sticky!
Old 11-26-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis93TA
holly crap. I'm really interested now. I need to do my rear and I'm an auto so i'm sure what you did will be overkill for me!!!
Did you do all the work??
I was thinkin of just puttin on a ta cover until it blew and could afford a 12bolt. But that is in my price range.
I did do all the work as can anybody. Only thing out of the ordinary you will need to buy is a fixed dial indicator for measuring back lash. I prefer the vise grip type over the magnetic due to using it on ther things like aluminum heads and transmissions. You can use the TA cover as well if it has the main cap retainers.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:57 AM

I believe Jeg's offers a similar setup...

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10002_13533_-1

Of course, IMO, yours looks more stout in design...how hard was it to design? Ever think of marketing your product for other car enthusiasts?
Old 11-26-2006, 10:59 AM

Very nice work for not too bad of an investment. A couple of the magazines have been doing 10 bolt buildups, but they have spent almost double what you did.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:23 PM

Was asked for more info from PM and here it is....

The last couple posts have mentioned their ability to destroy OE 10 bolts rather well as have I as mentioned in the 1st sentence of my original thread. There is nothing OE about my redeveloped differential. It is easy to destroy an OE unit in more ways than one.

I have my own list:

Broken axles
fraged ring and pinions
fraged spider gears
fraged posi center

ALL OF THIS IS PRIMARILY ATRIBUTED TO AXLE SHAFT TUBE FLEX! With drag slicks, the tires try to propel themselves ahead of the rest of the diff and the direct effect is the ring gear pulling away from the pinion. Now these mods are not for a 1000hp car but for a purpose built street car with up to say 600hp.

Look, all I can tell you is I have been running the same differential now for a full year. I street the car, I drap race the car on ET Streets with a pretty violent launch! The differential still has a great bill of health. If you don't want to move to a 12-bolt or 9 inch and spend 2 grand, then this is for you.

Some part numbers-

Summit Cover- SME-8510400
SPC toe adjusters- 69450

The bracket to tie it all together have to be fabricated.

Well, I don't have a good downward picture so I did this quick rendering for you, hope it helps. I put about 10 inch lbs of backwards preload. not enough to pull anything out of place.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:28 PM

It really looks nice, though I still wonder if it's worth it? Still, my proverbial hat is off to you for the effort.

Rich

Quick Reply: BULLET PROOF 10 BOLT? You be the judge!