Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Am I on the correct track here with TH-400?

Old 10-24-2004, 09:23 PM

Am I on the correct track here with TH-400?

I recently bought a TH-400 that came with a TCI t-brake, TCI trans-shield, TCI flexplate shield, heavy duty sprag, deep pan, etc..

I would like to start looking into getting the "other" parts I will need. What am I missing on my list and I just want to go over it with what I found when I searched....

A flex-plate, I believe a 153 tooth internal balance unit, part # BMM-20237
I have read about a "Spohn TH400 tranny mount block"..I will be using a M6 cross-member and I think this is needed.
Dipstick tube...stock 4L60E probably does not work anymore...any thoughts? Bendable? Mad Man unit?
Shifter, something that can go in the stock console if possible?
Converter...something along the lines of a Coan unit? Another brand?
Speedometer...something about a translator box? Dakota unit?
The TCI trans-shield & TCI flex-plate shield...any issues fitting? Flooring need cutting?
Old 10-25-2004, 05:09 AM

Re: Am I on the correct track here with TH-400?

i am looking into doing the same as you.

FLEXPLATE $90
if you have an internally balanced motor you need bmm-20237
but for my stock motor i need the externally balanced bmm-20238

madman has 4th gen fbody th-400 dipsticks in stock for $70

im going to use the pro ratchet shifter arp flywheel bolts and arp converter bolts from summit $200
im going to use the M6 console insert, ive read it works perfectly, also im using the M6 crossmember. i got a price quote from dal for these two items shipped, it was $85

as far as the speedo you need these 3 gm p/n:
8655291-speedo sensor
8655315-reluctor
12085498-pigtail
should be around $150 for those parts

of course you probably already know you need the spohn t/a around $500 depending on options

i havent heard of a "spohn th400 tranny mount block" but i read that you need a 1" spacer between the tranny mount and crossmember

i priced a race built th-400 with t-brake reverse manual body, supposed to hold 1000hp "no problem" for $1800

and a 3500 stall the shop recommended (cant remember the name) for $700

you also need a different driveshaft, im going with the spohn extreme DS for the th-400, a direct bolt in replacement for $325

so for me the price looks to be around $4000 for a th-400 swap.
i have no idea about the clearance on the shields...

where did you get your tranny?

hope that helped,
jesse
Old 10-25-2004, 07:23 AM

I bought it from a fellow board member, StrokedTA.

I also bought from a fellow board member a Mark Williams driveshaft for a TH-400 which goes to the 12 bolt (33 spline, c-clip, ta girdle, etc) which I also bought from a fellow board member....

So far I am saving what I feel is a good chunk of change...

$1850 for the Moser...
$360 for the drive shaft...
$900 for the TH-400...

I am trying to get the entire drivetrain wrapped up for under $4K....then I move to the suspension side....then I move to the motor side....then I move...etc...
Old 10-25-2004, 10:18 AM

Get you a spohn torque arm with the front driveshaft loop. I used the stock 6-speed crossmember, an Energy Suspension trans mount with a 1.5 inch solid steel spacer to get it to correct height. I would also like to recommend the b&m starshifter. It is a very nice shifter. I got it to work with my 6-speed console. You will have to make a plate to go over the hole that the 6-speed left(assuming you have a 6-speed now). Also you will have to beat in the floorboard a little to get the shifter to sit down correctly.

Don't forget to get your flexplate and torque convertor bolts. I got the mr gasket ones from a local shop. They work well.

Like that guy said on the speedometer. Get those parts, they are about 200 all together. Get your tranny shop to install them for you.

You will need the spohn aftermarket rear sway bar mounting kit. Also, don't forget to get the poly rear sway bar bushings as well. I made the mistake of not getting them with the kit and had to pay shipping again. Check out www.spohn.net for those.

You will also require some computer tuning. I suggest www.madz28.com, he tuned mine and the SES light has never come on after the swap. His prices are awsome.

Hope this helps. PM me if you need some pictures of stuff. Good luck.

~Eric