Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

After 3.73 gear install, gears whine after warmup

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:18 PM

After 3.73 gear install, gears whine after warmup

Hey everyone, this last weekend I tore apart my differential and installed a new 3.73 gear set to replace the old 2.73 the car came with. Everything went smoothly, had to install a ring gear spacer to compensate for the "THICK" series 2 carrier taking on series 3 gears. The richmond gearset came with so "install paste" that I guess works kind of like plastigage in a way. The pattern looked good so I put it back together but now after driving for 10-15 minutes they begin to whine a little bit. Anyone know of a thread on a gear install that I could reference before tearing it apart and trying it again? I know I must have it super close because its completely quiet for the first 5-10 miles. Is it also possible to get a similar gear sounding whine from overtorquing the pinion bearing? I feel like I got the torque right, and it moved freely, but again the noise only shows up after it warms up...

I would just take it to a performance shop who specializes in these types of things, but I myself am master ASE certified and take a certain amount of pride in being able to say that I've done all the work to my car myself, I hate to let something defeat that for me.

Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Do I like gear whine?