Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

"wrap around" harness, did I buy the right type of harness?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 03:09 PM

Question "wrap around" harness, did I buy the right type of harness?

My Harness came in today. Its a Simpson model 29116 in black. I'm not sure its right for my application.

I called Summit and this is what they told me I needed. I was under the impression that a "wrap around" was refering to the shoulder belts alone. But when I opened them up it seems that all the belts have to be "wrapped around" something to be installed. How do I put this in the car? Or was I supposed to get some sort of instalation kit with it?

The car: 96 z. I just put a set of Summit race seats in the car. I made my own brackets to bolt the seats to the stock mounting studs out of some 1" angle steel, this worked out just fine. There is no roll bar in the car yet. I was ordering these ahead of time to make sure I get the correct set up. I am having a standard 8 point chromoly bar installed in a few weeks.

My question is how do I mount the side belts and sub belt? The belts didnt come with any brackets or anything to put into the car, so what do they "wrap around" if there is nothing there other than the floor?

I figured I would ask here again since Summit doesnt seem to know exactly what i need.

Should I buy this one instead?29110 With that I will just have to have tabs welded to the roll bar and I can make up some brackets for mounting the rest of the belts to the car... But they also seem to make it in 55" and 62" lengths. Which one would I need?

Im so confused, please help

Last edited by Projectz28; 03-09-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:19 PM

Brian, did you ever get my email?

ATCO checked my car out last Sunday. Everything was legal.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:35 PM

Jim, no I never got it... I need some details to make this thing legal. Saturday should be intresting
Old 03-09-2004, 04:43 PM

Brian, I'm at work right now. I'll resend you the mail tonight when I get home. When I got you email it came up as spam on my system.

Saturday is going to be very interisting. I don't have the car close to being dialed into the tree.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:55 PM

I checked my spam folder thinking yours went there, but I just never got it. I love AOL...

For Sat I just hope they let me race... I'm not sure how well the stock seat belts thru the summit seats is going to go over.

Sat will be my first time on the new tree, first time with the new set up, First time with the new tire combo, and first time against good racers. I have a feeling I will be sitting at the bar very early. My first time run I have to go 1/8 only... cause I dont even know what the car will do. So I have to get dialed in on 1-2 time runs... good luck with that one. I have 80% of the interior out of the car and no time to put it back in by Sat. I'm probably just going to leave it out untill the after the bar.

Last edited by Projectz28; 03-09-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:15 PM

Brian, I called the Summit tech line. I got Simpson Standard latch system 62" bolt in y-harness. SIM29070 in black for $104.95. The shorter units are for dragsters and such where you basically sit on the floor or frame. To be honest I just like the Simpson name. The R.J.S., Peak, and RCI will work just as good. I didn't spend the extra bucks for the camlock system or th LF\X thing. The croch belt is attached by drilling a hole in the floor under the seat with reinforcement washers. I think it went thru the some floor reinforcement as well. The side belts are where the stock seat belts attach. The hole in the belts were drilled out a little and the stock seat belt bolts were used. The shoulder belts are a Y design which attach via a bolt thru a tab welded on the rollbar. I got black belts because I have a red fire jacket. Not a fashion statement, the staging director can clearly see that I have the belts on against the red jacket. One time at E-town they stopped the tree and ran up to my window. I had a light gray t-shirt with light gray seat belts. They didn't think that I had the belt on.

See ya on Saturday
Old 03-09-2004, 09:09 PM

Jim, I called the tech line also and for some reason these are the ones he suggested because I wouldnt need a tab on the bar for the belts. I just assumed the lap and sub belts came with the metal ends and I could do exactly what you just said. They also suggested that I get a harness with individual shoulder straps as they would not interfer with the seat where it will have to bolt to the bar.

I guess what I will do is call summit back tomorrow and order the other one. I guess you didnt have any problems with a tab for the belts and a tab for the seat being relatively close to each other on the bar. I didn't care what brand honestly, but the Simpson is what they had in stock. I originally called to order the RCI platinum series because they are good for 4 years. (they recert for free first time) But later that night i was told i needed pull down and not pull up adjusters... I called back and they weren't in stock anyway... Simpson was all they had in stock and the "wraparound" is what they said i needed.

At this point I might as well just order the RCI belts again... Y harness, camlock with pull down adjusters for 139.... and they are good for 4 years basically.

As for color, I could care less as long as they arent blue. I have a brand new full nomex jumpsuit from work(even has my name on it ) but its blue. I'll call back and let ya know how I made out on sat.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by Projectz28

Sat will be my first time on the new tree, first time with the new set up, First time with the new tire combo, and first time against good racers. I have a feeling I will be sitting at the bar very early. My first time run I have to go 1/8 only... cause I dont even know what the car will do. So I have to get dialed in on 1-2 time runs... good luck with that one. I have 80% of the interior out of the car and no time to put it back in by Sat. I'm probably just going to leave it out untill the after the bar.

Sat will be my second time on the new tree. Got 3 shots last weekend. lol. still clueless. new engine, gears, tires, led tree, can't roll down my window 'cause power motor is shot, 60% of the interior is still out, etc. But its bracket racing and anything can happen.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:23 AM

You two need a little more confidence!! Think negative and negative things will happen.

I won't be racing on Saturday. My car isn't ready and I'm looking for a house (no$$$) so I'm not going to run until the 2nd half of the season. I will be there hangin' out though so look for us next to Dave Milcarek (the picture guy). Rick and I have the first two spots next to him reserved.

Old 03-10-2004, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by 5SPDCHK
You two need a little more confidence!! Think negative and negative things will happen.

I won't be racing on Saturday. My car isn't ready and I'm looking for a house (no$$$) so I'm not going to run until the 2nd half of the season. I will be there hangin' out though so look for us next to Dave Milcarek (the picture guy). Rick and I have the first two spots next to him reserved.

Can I have first divs on your space for the first session????
Bad things are done with. Last Sunday was last sunday and just a T&T. Every round is a brand new race and my game face will be on. There are no friends at the tree.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by kazman
Can I have first divs on your space for the first session????
Bad things are done with. Last Sunday was last sunday and just a T&T. Every round is a brand new race and my game face will be on. There are no friends at the tree.
Unfortunately for you Jim, my dad gets first divs. If he's not interested, I'll let you know.

Old 03-10-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by 5SPDCHK
Unfortunately for you Jim, my dad gets first divs. If he's not interested, I'll let you know.

That's Ok, I'll go park out on the rocks so I feel at "home".
Old 03-10-2004, 05:00 PM

LOL, I'm going to concentrate on the second half aslo, but I figure I would just use Sat as a reality check and test out the new set up. Jim I looked up those belts you bought and according to the pn they are the LX/F latch. I'm going to call summit back tonight and see if they can give me the exact same belt with a camlock... if it wasnt a problem for you then I think I can make it work for me. Ron will just have to give me 2 tabs on the bar. 1 for the belt and 1 for the seat. They will have to be right over top of one another but it obviously worked for you.

I'll be out on the rocks right next to ya Jim. Maybe next year I will upgrade to a spot thats paved
Old 03-11-2004, 10:24 AM

ok, i finally got this straightened out i think. I bought this oneSIM-29073BK . Its basically the same belt as yours Jim with the exception of individual shoulder harnesses instead of the Y.

I asked them for the exact same thing in a camlock but they just dont have it. Everything they came up with had something wrong with it. Either a pull up, or too short or something. So I said screw it and got the LX/F latch instead. So I think the problem is solved.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:38 PM

You two will both be able to park where it's paved. There isn't much that isn't paved there anymore, actually. Sheesh, whiners, I tell ya...

Quick Reply: "wrap around" harness, did I buy the right type of harness?