Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Whos Running A Spool

Old 01-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Banned

Whos Running A Spool

How many of you guys are running spools and how do you like it as far as driveability goes? I know a couple of guys that are running them and they said it's not as bad as everyone makes it sound.

Lets get some opinions from guys that think the 306 cam isnt that bad, that should narrow it down
Old 01-27-2004, 05:09 AM

I found the spool to be better than the detroit locker. The way the locker would lock and unlock was dowright scary. I'd do a spool again in a heartbeat. You'll find the people complaining about spools don't actually have one, they're just repeating "hearsay"..
Old 01-27-2004, 07:20 AM

I run a spool in my 12 bolt and love it, i kept breaking Eaton posi units, so i was at a swap meet one day and bought a spool and have never looked back nothin but good things about a spool....
Old 01-27-2004, 08:00 AM

i've had a spool for almost 3 years,havent regretted it once. car was a daily driver,for 1.5 of those 3. it chews the **** outta BFG drag radials if you drive a lot,but regular radials will last. I run 15" wheels and got a cheap set of street tires,they lasted about a year with major abuse,and a few burnout competitions
Old 01-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Banned

NICE, I figured as much, I have talked to a lot of guys that feel the same way. I think all the whiney babies that say they are bad are the same people that think the HOTCAM is TOO BIG for the street

Thanks guys
Old 01-27-2004, 03:26 PM

....NOTHING is too big for the street
Old 01-27-2004, 04:32 PM

i have run a spool for 2 years even without power steering and have had no problem what so ever. I cant even tell theres a spool back there unless im in a parking lot doing 2 mph and make a u-turn. I always get people telling me i cant drive a spool on the street but 9 out of 10 cant even tell its there.

the guys who think a hotcam is too big for the street would really hate my .630 solid roller I think its totally streetable, there nothing like sitting at a light beating the ground
Old 01-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Banned

HAHAHAH Hell yea, damn I need to start hanging out in here, I see this is where all the smart people are hiding This must be the 10sec and under club up in here, I feel right at home now
Old 01-28-2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by InjectedSS
NICE, I figured as much, I have talked to a lot of guys that feel the same way. I think all the whiney babies that say they are bad are the same people that think the HOTCAM is TOO BIG for the street
Well, that's my laugher for the day. These same people would soil themselves with a solid roller then.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mongse_1
Well, that's my laugher for the day. These same people would soil themselves with a solid roller then.
WERD
Old 01-29-2004, 01:26 AM

I had a spool in my old car, rode great, around corners it would squeel the tires anything over 15 mph, and I didn't notice any unusual wear on the tires, and this was my daily driver. If you have a loud exhaust like me then you don't notice it. I have heard people using spools in these weak rears and holding up with slicks no problems. I can't understand why people don't go with these instead of buying expensive 12 bolts. If my current rear breaks I will try a spool again. For you guys with these spools and the 7.5 stock rear, what kind of punishment has it taken?
Old 01-29-2004, 01:43 AM
Banned

Originally posted by D James
I had a spool in my old car, rode great, around corners it would squeel the tires anything over 15 mph, and I didn't notice any unusual wear on the tires, and this was my daily driver. If you have a loud exhaust like me then you don't notice it. I have heard people using spools in these weak rears and holding up with slicks no problems. I can't understand why people don't go with these instead of buying expensive 12 bolts. If my current rear breaks I will try a spool again. For you guys with these spools and the 7.5 stock rear, what kind of punishment has it taken?
I dunno dude, I always heard not to run a spool in a 10 bolt cause of how small the axles are.. Heard they can break easier
Old 01-29-2004, 04:02 AM

what exactly does a spool DO? and whats the difference between a spool and a mini spool?
Old 01-29-2004, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by talos
what exactly does a spool DO? and whats the difference between a spool and a mini spool?
A spool locks the axles together. With a spool, your rear end is always "locked", there is no "differential" any longer. Both rear wheels always turn at the same speed. As a result, when you turn the car the inside wheel will slip since it is following a shorter path but turning the same speed. By applying power in a corner it is much easier to induce "power on oversteer", either deliberately or inadvertantly. This refers to the rear of the car sliding, or "stepping out" when power is applied. With a posi, you will experience the same thing if you accelerate briskly out of a tight corner on a slick surface, but it is not nearly as pronounced.

A car with a spool can be very tricky to drive on a slippery road and places a lot of wear on the rear tires as well as stress on the axles. Some people apparently like it. Not for me, that's for sure. As far as I am concerned it for drag cars. A locked rear can also be used effectively for road racing, where the driver expects to reularly use torque to position the car in the corners by inducing rear end sliding. This is not a recommended driving technique on the street!

Rich Krause

Last edited by rskrause; 01-29-2004 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:48 PM

Yea, I gots a spool too. Got tired of breaking Eaton's with a relatively low powered car. My driveway is littered with black marks from turning in and out of it. Also is noisy as crap with all my any kind of aftermarket/solid mount suspension.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whos Running A Spool