Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Who's removed their ABS system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by TonyJ
Man, that Southern Shootout looks like a blast! I've got to try to make it down there this year and check out some of those cars. It's gotta be like a bunch of doctors going to a Frankenstein convention...
LOL!

Yes, it totally rocked. Met tons of really cool people. A couple of fast cars too . I'll be there again this year!

Ryan
Old 03-28-2004, 10:23 AM

Maybe we'll get a chance to meet there. I was looking at the photo site those pics are on and there's a really neat alt relocation bracket. You don't happen to know who makes them do you? I did a search and found another one being developed that puts it on the driver's side, right where my D1SC sits. Doh...

I'd love to get that fugly stock bracket and the alternator out of the way...
Old 03-28-2004, 10:35 AM

Found it. It requires removing A/C too... aagghhh...

http://www.speedspecialty.com/store/...=lt1altbracket
Old 03-28-2004, 11:47 AM

We're a little offtopic, but no big deal .

I'm using the madman alt bracket, but you can't keep power steering.

At this point it gets to be a big trade off. If you want more room, you gotta give up a bit .

Good luck!
Ryan
Old 03-28-2004, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by 96-speed
These cars have much more room once you get rid of the stuff you can live without. Relocate the radiator forward and you'll have even more room (in the front).

You're right - weight reduction is very addictive...

Ryan

Hmmmm...I was looking into relocating the rad forward but I didnt think it could be done very easy. After looking at those pics though, peace of cake! I'm still debating on droppin my 468 BB in there. I've spent too much money on the LT1 too change my mind though.

Yes, once you get rid of the AC...you WILL see a BIG difference. The very first thing I did was ditch the AIR, then AC, now ABS and booster; it will be a nioce clean looking bay. I just need to make a custom plate so I can get rid of the heater and that box too.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:02 PM

is it still just as easy to drive on the street with a manual brakes no booster? i drive alot on the roads but the booster gets in the way though thanks guys any pics with it gone
Old 03-28-2004, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by FLIPPINZ28
is it still just as easy to drive on the street with a manual brakes no booster? i drive alot on the roads but the booster gets in the way though thanks guys any pics with it gone
On an LS1:

http://billingsleyracing.biz/Brakes1.jpg

Ryan
Old 03-28-2004, 04:13 PM

Man, that's clean. The guy even deleted his steering...
Old 03-28-2004, 04:53 PM

Yeah it pretty clean, strange mc, line lock but it looks like theres a proportioning valve or something attached to it? Looks like a weird setup...
Old 03-28-2004, 07:08 PM

hey 96-speed where can i get a setup like that one the manual stuff. affect street driving any? thanks
Old 03-28-2004, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by LT1 Bunny
Yeah it pretty clean, strange mc, line lock but it looks like theres a proportioning valve or something attached to it? Looks like a weird setup...
That's a non-overpriced linelock solenoid .

Flippin: No personal experience yet. Mine won't be back on the road for a few more weeks...

Ryan
Old 03-28-2004, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by FLIPPINZ28
hey 96-speed where can i get a setup like that one the manual stuff. affect street driving any? thanks

you do know that you are going to have to modify your spindles right? i seriously think you should drive a car with manual brakes BEFORE you do this to you camaro....you might freak out when you step on the brakes and find out you dont like the feel of the peddle and step on it harder and lock the brakes up . Then you'll have flat spotting on your tires...just make sure you know what your getting into!

there are a bunch of places you can go too. unfortunately i cant remember a single one with the exception of billingsley. pick up a chevy high tech...not GMHTP. Theres a few ads about custom brake setups. ill post them later when i get back home.

also this is off topic, this months CHEVY HIGH TECH has a lot of great info on cams, how to build a stronger 10 bolt, and all about t56s. nice info.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:27 PM

TonyJ: The way my setup up is right now, I have the alt on the bottom. But then again, I have no ac, no ps, so all i need is a belt for the crank running to the alt. But in your case you'd need a slighty larger one for the d1sc IF you got rid of ps and ac.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:30 AM

thanks lt1 bunny i wont do it then talked to my buddy i have had ankle surgery on my right foot and need all the power i can for the brakes thanks though but i am getting rid of the abs unit
Old 03-29-2004, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by LT1 Bunny
TonyJ: The way my setup up is right now, I have the alt on the bottom. But then again, I have no ac, no ps, so all i need is a belt for the crank running to the alt. But in your case you'd need a slighty larger one for the d1sc IF you got rid of ps and ac.
I think I'm going to modify the bracket to run the alt and ps below. There is a fellow here who sells the bracket. It's a little pricey at $200 and does require a different belt, but its a clean install. I'll either do my own or buy it, depending on my mood. I run the S/C off a seperate cog drive, so it's not a factor.

Quick Reply: Who's removed their ABS system?