Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

What type of race harness do I need for my set-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:29 PM

What type of race harness do I need for my set-up

I have a 94 z28. I just bought a wolfe 6 point bolt in roll cage. I wanted to buy some 5pt simpson race harness belts. I noticed that they sell allot of different styles. I'm not sure what Style that I need. I basically just want the style that bolts in the factory locations and wraps around the roll bar in back. I'm also using the stock seats. Does anyone know a part # or harness that would work. I wanted a 5pt. simpson harness.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 PM

If you need a dated harness, don't get hung up on brand names since you'll need to buy a new one every 2 years. Most of the manufacturers won't even recertify they're own belts any more. The "4 year" platinum belts still need to be returned after 2 years to be updated only the one time. After 2 years of use, most belts need to be replaced anyway from the wear and tear on the cinch points.

Just about every harness can have the lap belts attach the the factory mount points. The crotch belt still needs to attach to the floor under the back of the seat. Many brands offer the wrap around shoulder harness straps since it's cheaper to make than a belt with mounting tabs. Most people who'll be using a 5 point harness have a racing seat and the shoulder belts go through the seat. The easiest way to attach them to the crossbar is a wrap around design.

Now if you're running slow enough where you don't need a dated harness, buy whatever you like since you can keep it in the car as long as you want.

I buy new belts every 2 years and sell off my old ones for about half the cost of the new ones.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:07 PM

what is the ET/MPH that you need a dated harness? Mine are out of date and no one has ever questioned the dating on them.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
what is the ET/MPH that you need a dated harness? Mine are out of date and no one has ever questioned the dating on them.

If you have them in the car to use at the track they must be dated. Your track must really be lax because I always get checked.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 AM

I live in the Oklahoma City area and home of Stroud Safety equipment (see their add in the NHRA National Dragster). Stroud will inspect and recertify your harness for you every two years. Great company and NHRA supporter.

Yes it is an NHRA requirement for the harness to have a date certification, not greater than two years.

WD
Old 11-15-2006, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by The Engineer
I live in the Oklahoma City area and home of Stroud Safety equipment (see their add in the NHRA National Dragster). Stroud will inspect and recertify your harness for you every two years. Great company and NHRA supporter.......................WD

Let me add, Stroud Rocks!! For $25 bucks (or was it $50?) Stroud will reweb your harness. Simpson and others probably do it for a nominal fee too.

But to the question. There are so many options for roll bar attachement that I always call and get the part number directly from the manufacture. Call Simpson directly. They know exactly what questions to ask and what harness you need.

Karl
Old 11-16-2006, 12:36 AM

According the the rules, if your car requires a roll bar, the harness needs have a valid SFI date. ie, 11.50 and quicker.

Now a 12 or 13 second car does not require a roll bar and if you put one in, technically the harness can be expired because it's not a requirement. It all depends on your local tech inspectors and how they interpret the rules.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:32 PM

Call these guys!

http://www.stroudsafety.com/RestraintSystems.html

Since you are using the stock seats, you will probably want to use the standard individual, wrap around style belts. If your budget allows, I would recommend the Kam Lock style. Since Stroud will recertify their belts it's worth it to spend a little extra for the Kam Lock. IMHO

Last edited by sseeya; 11-16-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Engineer
I live in the Oklahoma City area and home of Stroud Safety equipment (see their add in the NHRA National Dragster). Stroud will inspect and recertify your harness for you every two years. Great company and NHRA supporter.

Yes it is an NHRA requirement for the harness to have a date certification, not greater than two years.

WD
Which part number do you order ?
Their catalog is confusing for us first-timers.

I'd like wrap-around shoulder/submarine and bolt-in waist with a camlock.