Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

What class are you planning to run next season?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 05:49 PM

What class are you planning to run next season?

I’ve been involved in the NHRA Summit Racing Series (bracket racing) for the past two years and points series at the local track. I was racing in the No-E Street (Sportsman) class (12.0 and slower), but plan to move up to No-E Fast next season.

My 97 Z28 currently runs low 11s. Although, I plan to change the gears and slicks (4.30s w/ 28” x 11.50) to improve my 60ft times, as-well-as the consistency of the launches. Also, a few other performance upgrades (Walbro in-tank pump) along with a little more weight reduction, which should put me around 11 flat (maybe 10.90). Most of the cars in No-E Fast are in the low to mid 10 second range, but there are many 11 second cars and a few 9 second cars.

However, I believe the “real challenge” in No-E Fast next season will be the experience of the drivers in that class (including some former national champions in our division). Hopefully, my Z28 will be capable of running the numbers (dial) consistently and then I can just focus on cutting a good light and racing the stripe occasionally if I’m ahead.

It seems like most of the cars at the track now days are running electronics (Delay Boxes w/ Cross-Talk, Trans-Brakes, Etc). However, for me the No-E (foot braking) class is what I really enjoy! You’re doing all the driving (good, or bad).

So, what class are you planning to run next season and why do you like running in that class?

WD

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189634
Old 12-03-2006, 07:01 PM

i was looking into bracket racing at my local track (New England Dragway, In Epping NH) i just turned 18 and have little expirence...but it is def somethin i want to do in the future. i was looking at the street class for DOT approved tires (Drag Radials, etc) 13 sec and slower....i havent ran my car yet...never have raced at the track yet
Old 12-03-2006, 09:41 PM

Same class as I always run in. Electronics bracket. I like my delay box and transbrake.

Under NHRA rules it would be SuperPro however I'm only legal to run as quick as 10.0 under NHRA rules. Our local track is IHRA and I can run down to 9.0 under IHRA rules. IHRA class is technically called Top or Top ET but has also been called Box or just plain Electronics. I have TOP on my windows. Some people just draw a square to represent a box.

If I installed a throttle stop, I could try running in SuperRod or HotRod (SuperGas, SuperStreet) but I don't care for throttle stop racing.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen 87 IROC
Same class as I always run in. Electronics bracket. I like my delay box and transbrake.
I looked-up your location (Lat/Lon) and see you're up in Alberta Calgary Canada! Burr, I bet you won't be racing for several months in your part of the country. Which NHRA Division are you in (Div-1)?

I also don't like throttle-stop racing and don't even like watching it.

WD

Last edited by The Engineer; 12-04-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
i was looking into bracket racing at my local track (New England Dragway, In Epping NH) i just turned 18 and have little expirence...but it is def somethin i want to do in the future. i was looking at the street class for DOT approved tires (Drag Radials, etc) 13 sec and slower....i havent ran my car yet...never have raced at the track yet
Actually... 12 seconds and slower.... It is an appropriate class to start in, plus there are a few guys who take it very seriously and run both street and mod. Bracket racing is ALL about the driver as long as the car is basically consistent.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by tnthub
Actually... 12 seconds and slower.... It is an appropriate class to start in, plus there are a few guys who take it very seriously and run both street and mod. Bracket racing is ALL about the driver as long as the car is basically consistent.
I also enjoyed racing the 12.0 and slower street class and I only have about two years of serious bracket experience. However, my car can run well under the 12.0 index and everyone has been giving me a "hard-time" about being too fast. So, I'm moving up with the big-boys next year, some with 20 years seat time. Also, I plan to approach this new class with an open mind and not get too upset if I don't do well the first season.

WD
Old 12-04-2006, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by tnthub
my car is my summer DD..... and i really wont have enough $$ for replacement parts...do u think its a good idea to race bracket at NED? can i not go everytime and still compete? or can i just go to a few events...i want to race but not absolutly slaughter my car
Old 12-05-2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Engineer
Which NHRA Division are you in (Div-1)?
Race season starts in May. We've been snowed out on the season opener before.

There's 3 tracks currently operating in Alberta. Calgary and Edmonton are IHRA (Div 5 I think). Medicine Hat is NHRA and Alberta is classified as Division 6 however other than the one other Div 6 track in Montana, all the other Div 6 tracks are in the Pacific NW and BC.

I don't race at NHRA tracks any more. NHRA is forcing out all the grass roots racers from competition. The harder they make it for the grass roots racers to race, the less racers show up to race. If the current NHRA rule changes for 2007 don't change back, they'll have even less racers. No door car running quicker than 9.99 will be able to install a diaper on the engine. There just isn't enough room. It also needs to be SFI approved (min $400)
Old 12-05-2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Engineer
Also, I plan to approach this new class with an open mind and not get too upset if I don't do well the first season.

WD
Bracket racing means everyone has a fair chance of winning. If you're good at the tree and dialing in your car, you have just as good a chance at going rounds.

I always stage the car with the idea that I'm here to have fun. If I win the round, that's just a bonus.

I laugh when people from the stands say bracket racing is easy. Once you get behind the wheel and realize just how much goes on from the time your start your waterbox burnout to when you cross the finish line, you see it's not as easy as it looks. The round doesn't end there. You now go back to your pit to prepare for the next round checking things over etc.

Last edited by Stephen 87 IROC; 12-05-2006 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:44 AM

I run a local track series called Street tire shootout. 8 or 9 races a year. No electronics at all, DOT tires, licensed and insured, thru mufflers, lights, ect.
And I run local club races in the Detroit area.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
I run a local track series called Street tire shootout. 8 or 9 races a year. No electronics at all, DOT tires, licensed and insured, thru mufflers, lights, ect.
And I run local club races in the Detroit area.
Is there a class index (i.e. 12.0 and slower) for the Street Tire Shootout series you're running in? I know a lot of tracks place an index on the street classes to keep-out the faster cars. Also, I see you can run low 11s with your LS.

WD
Old 12-06-2006, 10:23 AM
rje

I will keep running in the Modified class, ( no electronics) . I'm building a new engine for next year and hope to run in the 6.70's and win another track championship.

Randy
Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
my car is my summer DD..... and i really wont have enough $$ for replacement parts...do u think its a good idea to race bracket at NED? can i not go everytime and still compete? or can i just go to a few events...i want to race but not absolutly slaughter my car
You can go once, twice, three times, or as many times as you want. You do not have to "join" points in order to race. There are usually 16 points races per season. To win (in any points class at NED) for the season, basically you will need to average close to four round wins per event (usually), and not miss any races.

However you can go once, win the race, win money, and never go again if you so choose. No problem.

With any racing you run the risk of breaking something. However you have an automatic and it is not overly modified, and on the surface I would wager that you could have a good time for a season or just a few events without serious risk of damage althouh how your car has been treated in the past certainly has a lot to do with the reliability of the main components that are generally at higher risk of failure.

Rear ends, slipping transmissions, over revving all can happen at any time and often without much warning. I have a buddy of mine who raced his '96 Garnd Am for four years without breaking a single part, but it was lighter weight than an f-body and only went 17 seconds in the quarter. Generally, the quicker you go the more stress you will place on the car. Most of the time, a fairly stock vehicle that has not been abused, with an automatic, will last quite awhile.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=tnthub;4267428]
However you can go once, win the race, win money, and never go again if you so choose. No problem.
QUOTE]

so i dont have to sign up to race in the points races? I can just show up when its a points race day and race? and how much does winner take home at each event usually? for the street event i was talkin about?
Old 12-06-2006, 03:29 PM

Chase points in Street and Pro at Maple Grove, NHRA Division 1 in the Formula. Off "weekends" race the 'vette in the Corvette Challange and EFI series or run the Cobalt the imports events at RaceWay Park. May find some time to make the trek in the Formula to Atco, Island, Numedia, and Spensor. Finally want to make some of the big money races again with the Formula. Pretty much bracket race every weekend March thur November. Or just might say sheeeee, drink beer, and become a professional backup test and tune driver.

Quick Reply: What class are you planning to run next season?