Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

What are the "bolt-on only" rules

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:21 PM

I can do this, I'm pretty impartial to records since im too far away to make the track out here I also do web hosting and maybe I'll whip up a proper site with a submission system over the holidays

Last edited by TobyZ28; 12-16-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
I wouldn't mind maintaining it but I think there may be a conflict of interes since I am one of the guys trying for it, maybe we can ask someone impartial to look over the rules and weigh the choices...
i agree.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:59 PM

I don't have any problems with conforming to the rules, that is why I asked to begin with.

I do think everybody should work from a common minimum weight, I think that would eliminate the "ringer" or the person willing to go to extreme measures and or spend large amounts of money trying to gain an unfair advantage. I know of a car or two in the impala world that have been gutted beyond functionality.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:14 PM

I don't know Tom, I might have to fight you on the minimum weight thing, even though I am not down to where Shon's car was I think the only real way of getting faster with bolt-on is weight reduction at this point...

I am hoping not to have to gut it completely, and hope not to show up at the shootout in a tin can, but if that is what it takes to break the record in April that is what I may have to do...
Old 12-16-2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
I don't know Tom, I might have to fight you on the minimum weight thing, even though I am not down to where Shon's car was I think the only real way of getting faster with bolt-on is weight reduction at this point...

I am hoping not to have to gut it completely, and hope not to show up at the shootout in a tin can, but if that is what it takes to break the record in April that is what I may have to do...
i agree there shouldnt be a minimum weight limit...
Old 12-16-2007, 08:22 PM

I know where your coming from John, weight is ET with the bolt-on deal, but I think there should be limits from stopping people from taking extreme measures, thats all I was getting at. My car will be light but I'm not going thru extreme measures to make it the lightest in order to set or reset a record or be competitive with the other top contenders.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:48 PM

I'm curious as to what others would consider "extreme measures" in weight reduction. I'm working on my first phase of weight reduction now, and I don't plan on doing anything that can't be bolted back on.

IMO things like using lexan windows and breaking out the plasma cutter and cutting the car up would be a good point to draw the line.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:04 PM

I guess extreme is in the eye of the beholder and the skill of that individual, over the years my skills have evolved and now I feel that there really is nothing too extreme...

I have not cut anything out and all brackets are still there for things like putting the rears seats back in and all that, though it will be time consuming to rerun all the wires I pulled when pulling items that I didn't need, but technically I could put everything back together again if I wanted to...

But, I also feel that is I take the cutoff wheel to those brackets, like I am planning on doing soon, that it doesn't matter since technically I could just re-weld them back on if I ever want to put it back in, see what I mean?

Some people may think having a car without a radio too extreme, but I don't need a radio in the car, so I took it out, does that mean I went beyond extreme? No, because I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Now if I cut out my floor and reskinned it with sheet metal then yeah I'd say that is getting too extreme, even though technically it could be brought back to stock if need be.

See what I am gettign at?
Old 12-16-2007, 09:20 PM

John, it looks like you and i are pretty much on the same page. I'm planning on cutting those seat brackets out myself. I'm also planning to get the wiring harness reworked to do away with all of those extra wires.

The sheet metal floor example was a good one. My only concern is that in a situation where weight reduction is almost the only means of performance improvement, that someone will start doing things that reduce the structural integrity of their car.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:24 PM

I think lexan and speedglas is outside of the boundries. I think the car needs two (2) front seats, carpeting, factory dash shell, factory interior door panels, factory plastic interior panels. I think a semi-factory look should be maintained because most people really frown on a gutted car.

I don't mind trimming unneeded tabs/brackets/etc, these are racecars and who cares if you can't bolt it back on.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:51 PM

yea im keeping mine a street car as long as possible
Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 AM
West South Central Moderator

wow, a lot of this talk is VERY FAMILIAR! I help Karl with the Impala SS ET Page and we have gone through all kinds of suggested "rule revisions" but most of it stays the same.

If anybody is seriously interested in doing this, it will be plenty of work, especially considering how many F-bodies race compared to B-bodies. We can put you in touch with the guy that set up our dynamic version. Karl used to have to input every single detail in for every entry manually. Now things are closer to automatic with just a little input required by the Admins.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if somebody who is competing in the bolt-on group works on the list. In fact, it could help since they probably will stay interested in it and do a better job with it. All that matters is that they are honest. Originally our list was to help others by letting others know what works and what doesn't. Naturally it has become a bit of a competition. But competition drives people to do better.

I would suggest NOT limiting weight in any way. This could potentially bring in somebody with a ProMod style body with a stock engine, but most likely won't.

Let me know if I can help in any way. I've been keeping tabs on this thread for a while

Last edited by AdioSS; 12-17-2007 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
i agree there shouldnt be a minimum weight limit...
Considering what kind of contest this is as far as limitations - there should be no weight limitation for this contest, IMHO. If that were the case it would seem then that the only rule of thumb would be the car had to have everything it originally was equipped with, which we all pretty much know what that would mean - almost everybody would be disqualified that would run in this field except dead-stockers.

I also think and M6 & Auto shootout would be nice for records purposes, and tracking progress.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Razor_Blade
Does anyone know if the LS1 "Stock Internal" guys allow intake swaps?
I don't know what the official stance is on that, but LS1 intakes don't touch oil.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:30 PM

Yes, they (ls1 guys) allow intake swaps and no they don't touch the oil.

I weighed my car again today and it weighs a whopping 3300 with my 150 pound butt in it. I have a sound plan to get me to the low 2900 high 2800 lbs while retaining the streetable look and being NHRA legal for sub 12 second et's. This will be an expensive winter for the cheap car.

Last edited by tomcowle; 12-17-2007 at 02:59 PM. Reason: info

Quick Reply: What are the "bolt-on only" rules