Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

What are the "bolt-on only" rules

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 AM

What are the "bolt-on only" rules

What guidelines exist, in speaking with people everybody has a different view of what "bolt-on" means.

I view Bolt-on only classification as the following:
1.) Stock FACTORY Short and Long Block (NO rebuilds, no valvejobs) basically speaking as it came from GM.
2.) Any induction that bolts on
3.) roller rockers (any ratio)
4.) Any tubular exhaust and headers (cats optional)
5.) Any transmission (aftermarket convertors and clutches okay)
6.) Any rear-end and bolt-on suspension
7.) Any front-end bolt on suspension
8.) Any ignition system

Am I in left field with this list?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:34 AM

As there is NO governing body that controls this, there are NO rules.
I believe most people think of the engine only when refering to bolt-ons.
So your explanation is as good as any.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:48 AM

yea i agree with u... no internal mods...
Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 PM

As mentioned above, there are no rules. It's whatever you decide is a bolt on. As far as I'm concerned, for what people consider bolt ons, you might as well include heads since those can be classified as basic bolt ons.

Personally, I'd say anything that bolts on without getting into the engine would be a bolt on. Throttle body, injectors, headers/exhaust, NOS systems that don't require removing the intake to install, centrifugal blowers, that sort of stuff. That would mean no induction or rocker swap since that means opening up the engine in some way.

Everybody has their own rules as to what's considered a bolt on.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:22 PM

how can u concider swappin heads a bolt on but rockers not?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:34 AM

He is saying with most peoples definition of bolt-on's we could conclude that swapping heads is a bolt-on.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:56 PM

As stated, the are no rules but the list as posted seems pretty reasonable. The rockers are questionable in my mind though and I am not clear what is meant by "Any induction that bolts on". Most people don't consider blowers and nitrous as "bolt-ons". But ultimately it's in the eye of the beholder. You could always "bolt on" another engine in the trunk and go really fast after you bolted on something to hook it to the tires, etc.

Rich
Old 12-12-2007, 01:10 PM

I'd say your pretty much right on with the stuff posted above...

The Bolt-on thing was esablished a few years back with different events that had a variety of differnt classes, a lot of these were magazine events and other f-body club events. There were hard and fast rules as to what was considered a bolt-on, and esentially it was all motor related (nothing to do with suspension or whatever else). The rule was simple, nothing that touched engine oil, including rocker arms and etc... However over the years the numbers dwindled as people modded their car more and it was hard to find cars that fit that criteria, so the rules were changed to allow rocker arms, for LT1 cars. Eventually it grew out of that into a mess of one person thinks this is the bolt-on rules and others use this that most of the bolt-on classes fell away from the lineups at those events.

The most noteworthy rules around bolt-on were in GM Hightech a good many years back, maybe somewhere in 2003 or so

I have it at home if you need me to scan it or anything since I couldn't find it on GM Hightech's site...
Old 12-12-2007, 03:38 PM

Heck, I might shoot for the bolt-on only record, my best to date is 12.090 at 112 plus with a 1.590 sixty foot. I've been kicking around swapping in a larger than stock cam in the car, I might hold out until AFTER I break the record.

John, I'd love to read that article. I'm relatively new to the LT1 stuff but I done stocker and super stocker stuff in the past.

tom cowle
Old 12-12-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
I'd say your pretty much right on with the stuff posted above...

The Bolt-on thing was esablished a few years back with different events that had a variety of differnt classes, a lot of these were magazine events and other f-body club events. There were hard and fast rules as to what was considered a bolt-on, and esentially it was all motor related (nothing to do with suspension or whatever else). The rule was simple, nothing that touched engine oil, including rocker arms and etc... However over the years the numbers dwindled as people modded their car more and it was hard to find cars that fit that criteria, so the rules were changed to allow rocker arms, for LT1 cars. Eventually it grew out of that into a mess of one person thinks this is the bolt-on rules and others use this that most of the bolt-on classes fell away from the lineups at those events.

The most noteworthy rules around bolt-on were in GM Hightech a good many years back, maybe somewhere in 2003 or so

I have it at home if you need me to scan it or anything since I couldn't find it on GM Hightech's site...
Wow that was a long time ago. The shootout was in July or Aug 02 and published in Jan 03. I remember it being very very hot. I did buy a couple of copies of that issue.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:51 PM

ive been readin that mag since i bought it back in 02....good issue
Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 PM

What the article doesn't say is that I did a hurry up header install the day before the shootout. I had a broken plug wire and was only able to run 14.0 on 7 cylinders. Running with the miss created an increadable out of balance (vibration on the top end) which led to a broken motor mount, broken trans mount, and a broken driveshaft. Ah the good old stick shift days. I took a 13.40 car, install LT's and slowed to 14.0. After the fix the next week the car was running 12.90's. UGH.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:21 PM

its sorta like BPU upgrades for supras, basic parts upgrades where you bolt on easy stuff to the exhaust, intake manifold/cai, etc... nothing more. no heads/cam/pistons/crank/etc.

just first mods to the long block
Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 PM

OK I just got through scanning them and have to wait for tehn to load to my website so this may take some time since I scanned them in as high res so everyone can view them, If you want to get a larger copy then what I have viewable on my site just right click the image and do a save as or save image and it will download the larger version...

Again this will be up and ready in a few minutes, oh yeah, it is funny to re-read that article and see all the familiar names...
Old 12-12-2007, 08:19 PM

OK there is another 3 minutes until all the images are up there but most of you won't be checking it that soon...
Please beware that these are highres images that I squished into 1200X800 pixels to make it more readable from my site...

http://www.1slowformula.com/gmhtp_bolt-on_article.htm

Quick Reply: What are the "bolt-on only" rules