Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

TTop owners...new NHRA rule??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 07:29 AM

It would seem to me that if you put padding on the bars it wouldn't be as bad as hitting your coconut on the 'A' pillar or side glass. There are different thicknesses of roll bar padding; use the thick stuff.

Looking at it another way, a cage in a street car could also save your hide if you were T-boned by a Peterbuilt. Not saying you should put one in - just different ways of looking at everything
Old 09-04-2003, 09:38 AM
Administrator

I think the roll bar (not cage) is ideal for a street car. I only have the one main hoop, and on mine the side bar is dropped and I have the two rear bars... That way I have no metal near my head for street driving. I also have a 5-point and high back racing seat. Sure I lose the back seat but heck, its a performance car anyway...

My understanding is the rule is just being discussed. I would leave it at that. I can understand why they would consider it but I wager the lost revenue and distress it would create will kill it before it gets off the table.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by aggiez28
yes it could save you ...but then it could kill you also......

keepign a wild tiger in your back yard may save your life froma guy wanting to brake in and kill you but then its highly puttin you at risk too.

brook
Well, no offense, but the tiger thing is a pretty poor analogy. If you want to look at it that way a glass of water can kill you too. Or for that matter a standard seat belt because you can't get out of the way as the steering column goes through you on its way to the seat back.

Anyway, all that is really off topic. I agree with tnthub; I don't think any rule like that will happen for a very long time. And if it does it won't require a cage, just a bar. And everyone seems to agree that a bar shouldn't be a problem in a street car.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by tnthub

My understanding is the rule is just being discussed. I would leave it at that. I can understand why they would consider it but I wager the lost revenue and distress it would create will kill it before it gets off the table.
There is a note in this week's issue of National Dragster addressing this rumor. It says that the NHRA has no intention of making any rule change that pertaints to T-top cars.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:01 PM

I agree about the cage being a no no in a street car. Don't forget, street cars are designed with crumple zones to redirect crash energy. Making the chassis stiffer in the wrong places can be just as bad as having it too weak.