Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Traction Control (ASR)..?

Old 02-01-2004, 08:19 PM

Traction Control (ASR)..?

Will this hurt 1/4 mile times.....?
Anyone has this option on their LS1? Do u guys leave your ASR on all the time?
Old 02-01-2004, 08:24 PM

I leave it on. At the track I would turn it off. The majority of the time it kicks in over something very minute and would completely ruin your track time if it kicked in.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:41 PM

After I start the car, that's the first thing I turn off. It's a habit now. ASR does basically two things...it pushes the gas pedal out & applies the back brakes when wheel-spin is detected. So, unless it starts snowing or raining really hard, I usually turn it off & leave it off.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:56 PM

I know that trac-control cuts back the engine power 'til the wheels stop spinning, but does it actually apply the brakes? I didn't think GM was that advanced?! Well .......at least not with the F-bodies!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Capn Pete
I know that trac-control cuts back the engine power 'til the wheels stop spinning, but does it actually apply the brakes? I didn't think GM was that advanced?! Well .......at least not with the F-bodies!
lol

Yeah it applies the brakes and it takes a few seconds before it will let you really get on the gas again.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:42 PM

my friends 96 z has got it
he only leaves it on because he doesnt want to shred his new tires
but there is a way to have it start off when you turn on your car, and then you can turn it on when it's raining, snowing, etc.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by unvc92camarors
my friends 96 z has got it
he only leaves it on because he doesnt want to shred his new tires
but there is a way to have it start off when you turn on your car, and then you can turn it on when it's raining, snowing, etc.
The only way I know of having off being the default on a LS1 is by plugging in a $50 part to the back of the switch. I will get the link if anyone is interested it.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by 99blackSS
The only way I know of having off being the default on a LS1 is by plugging in a $50 part to the back of the switch. I will get the link if anyone is interested it.
hmm...is it different for the ls1's?
i remember some "ghetto" way (which i would be fond of, just because i'm cheap like that ) of doing it for a few bucks on lt1s atleast
i gotta stop spending so much time on lt1 tech

edit: i think i know what you're talking about also
isn't it the slp one?
Old 02-01-2004, 10:14 PM

hey that link would be nice.. and also im being dumb tonight.. where do you turn it off at? >_<

/tek.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by unvc92camarors
hmm...is it different for the ls1's?
i remember some "ghetto" way (which i would be fond of, just because i'm cheap like that ) of doing it for a few bucks on lt1s atleast
i gotta stop spending so much time on lt1 tech

edit: i think i know what you're talking about also
isn't it the slp one?
Yeah, I am talking about the SLP one, it's very possible there is a ghetto way.
Originally posted by tekker
hey that link would be nice.. and also im being dumb tonight.. where do you turn it off at? >_<

/tek.
Second item from the bottom. ASR has a switch like the fog light switch (which it is next to) only it says ASR on it and it turns off by pressing the button, but the factory has it set to turn back on the next time you turn the car on.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:42 PM

cool ill be ordering one of those. but odd.. im pretty sure i have TCS on my car because i get the warning light often and pretty sure i get the effects also.. the times its happend its been kinda hectic so its tough to recall but the switch slot next to the fog light one is empty.. no factory button? hermmm.

/tek.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:12 AM

If you can't find the button you shouldn't order that part because it plugs into the back of the button.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:42 AM

I leave my traction control off, especially in dry conditions. If their is snow and I want to do donuts then I turn it off again . It really works though because last week I was driving practically sideways for a 100 feet, inch by inch. Without this feature I would have been in circles.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by tekker
cool ill be ordering one of those. but odd.. im pretty sure i have TCS on my car because i get the warning light often and pretty sure i get the effects also.. the times its happend its been kinda hectic so its tough to recall but the switch slot next to the fog light one is empty.. no factory button? hermmm.

/tek.
Look under your hood.If the throttle cables go to the TB then you do not have TCS.If the throttle cables go to the passenger side to a little plastic cover,then 1 cable goes to the TB,then you have TCS.The button should be by your center AC vents.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:27 PM

hmm my mistake? guess that its just the "low traction" light? mayb it doesnt do anything? i hope i dont have it cause i dont need it anyways

/tek.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traction Control (ASR)..?