Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

stalled auto vs. 6-speed in 1/4 mile race.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 02:40 AM

stalled auto vs. 6-speed in 1/4 mile race.

My friend and I we're arguing earlier about this. He says that if u had the exact same car, with the exact same mods. One car had a 4l60e with a stall converter of around 3500 RPM and an STR of 2.2 and one had a 6 speed. He seems to think that because u can dump the clutch at 5k RPM's that the manual will run the same as the stalled automatic, I beg to differ. Can someone please give some insite on this. He is pissing me off. Thanks, Dustin.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:36 AM

Re: stalled auto vs. 6-speed in 1/4 mile race.

Depends on what tires your running, on street tires the auto would most likely win, but on sticky tires I would think the M6 may have the edge on a very hard launch......but in all reality the 10 bolt would probably go kaboom on a 5k drop on sticky tires.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:54 AM

I've always said that if I can stay within 2-3 cars of a stalled auto the first 300(where the converter really shines for the auto cars) ft I will win the race..given equal mods. So yes...If you could launch a manual car at 5 grand and not shatter the rear end and get some resemblance of a hook the manual car will walk the auto car on the top 1/8 in a 1/4 mile race.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:30 PM

I'd say it could go either way. You can say once car can launch better or one runs harder up top, but regarless of where the cars shines in the end they'll both get you there in about the same time.

I've never run a similarly modded 6-speed, but I'd like to hear some real outcomes from this match-up.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:24 PM

I believe I lost a .1 when I went from the 6 speed to a Turbo400 on a bolt on '95 Formula LT1.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:42 AM

it all depends on traction and how well the cars are shifted.

my car is 2 tenths slower with me driving it vs Russ, we both keep it flat footed the whole length, both launching at 6k but he can get the gears quicker, it is amazing!! Also, we both pull the same 60's...
Old 11-13-2005, 04:14 PM

TTT.. anyone else have opinions?
Old 11-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Drivers race. In reality, most of the times the auto will win because the shifts will alwys happen and they will happen as they are supposed to. I have met very few individuals who could actually shift a six speed car to keep up with an automatic, however I have met thousands of people who will claim that they are one of those folks who can.

I went from a six speed to a stalled automatic. The ET's stayed the same. The ease of driving improved dramically. The mph dropped a little bit. The sixty foot times improved a little bit. The consistency at the launch was much better.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:43 PM

TnThub is right on.
For me to run the numbers I think I will need a TH350 but I am going to practice this M6 stuff till I get tired....I can surely figure out how to shift like Russ does and pick up that extra 3 tenths....
Old 11-14-2005, 07:57 AM

With average drivers the stalled auto wins. With great drivers it becomes a good race. With Evan Smith driving it becomes a M6 victory. With a stock 10 bolt it becomes a broken rearend and another A4 victory.

5K clutch dumps can help to even out things but the car has to be built to handle that first, the driver has to be a perfect shifter and the mods have to be anywhere from mild to heavy. All the quickest F-bodies in the country are either A2 or A3 autos.

If your friend persists in giving you a hard time about manuals beating autos at drag racing, then email him this link and ask him to count how many manuals are in the top 20 (click on the model for car specs including tranny type). I think only 3 (one of which is clutchless )made the top 20 and 0 made the top 10.

I am in no way trying to insult manuals. They are the best at road courses, MPG, dyno friendly, fun factor, ect. But I am a firm believer that stalled autos are king of the 1/4 mile because the numbers don't lie. ET numbers that is

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/etdb.php
Old 11-14-2005, 07:59 AM

I think Evan and Russ should square off in a head to head shifting dual!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:38 PM

I still say bring on the autos. better come with better than mid 1.4 60s..or i will beat you out of the hole. Or you best run better than 130 mph up top or I will run ya down. I still say mod for mod..if you can stay within 2-3 out the hole and equally modded 6 speed will come around you on the top 1/8 mile of the 1/4. http://95formula.ls2.com/Video/Th1072.wmv

all you have to do is set em up right and drive the **** out of em.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by 95Bird
I still say bring on the autos. better come with better than mid 1.4 60s..or i will beat you out of the hole. Or you best run better than 130 mph up top or I will run ya down. I still say mod for mod..if you can stay within 2-3 out the hole and equally modded 6 speed will come around you on the top 1/8 mile of the 1/4. http://95formula.ls2.com/Video/Th1072.wmv

all you have to do is set em up right and drive the **** out of em.
Easier said then done. Your car and times are definately impressive. But stalled autos are still top dog at the 1/4 mile. Because for every one car like yours there are 50 that can't launch and shift near good enough to stay with an auto. And for every 9 or 10 second manual there is a 8 second auto you can't catch.

Edit:

Here is a prime example.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/etdb_slip.php?id=593

Here is a stalled auto that had a worse 60' then you, trapped less then you and yet got a slightly quicker ET then you. Why? Because that's the beauty of torque converters and shift extensions.

Last edited by darrens99formul; 11-15-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:48 AM

I agree that there is also a cutoff point where you will be hurt with our manual trannys in the 1/4...we just cant change the gear ratios to compensate. That cuttoff is somewhere int he 11.5 range in my opinion. I truely think I could pick up alittle going to an auto...maybe a 10th or so. the first 8ths is where a properly stalled auto just pulls on me no matter how good my 60' is. They are really strong the first 330. Now throw in aftermarket manuals and they are the best for 1/4 mile runs. Look at pro stock..no autos in there. You also get a penalty in any sactioned race with a true drag race manual tranny. With all the slipper clutch technology and choices of gear ratios its a totally different game..of course..they are super expensive.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:24 PM

Being very general, whether the cars a equal or not, I know of few people who lost because they mis-shifted their auto.

Quick Reply: stalled auto vs. 6-speed in 1/4 mile race.