Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Rollcage Information...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 AM

As stated, it's likely quite UN-safe due to the possibility of unhelmeted head v. steel bar. As far as legality, it would be state specific.

Rich
Old 01-27-2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
As stated, it's likely quite UN-safe due to the possibility of unhelmeted head v. steel bar. As far as legality, it would be state specific.

Rich
This, the second you wreck with a full cage is the second your head turns into a baseball getting hit by a metal bat.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by bombebomb
This, the second you wreck with a full cage is the second your head turns into a baseball getting hit by a metal bat.
That's why they make rollbar padding. I have it anywhere a part of my body may come in contact with a bar.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Steve69SS396
That's why they make rollbar padding. I have it anywhere a part of my body may come in contact with a bar.
padding will soften up the blow a bit but its still no substitute for proper equipment. it is still dangerous with no helmet and a harness properly worn
Old 01-29-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
padding will soften up the blow a bit but its still no substitute for proper equipment. it is still dangerous with no helmet and a harness properly worn
Anybody would be safer in any car if they wore a helmet. With the harness on the only thing my head can hit is the head rest part of my seat. I added the padding as extra protection, especially when climbing in and out of the car.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:12 PM

In Alabama it is only required to have one mirror so that you can see vehicles from the rear. Title 32 of Alabama state law does not specify where that mirror needs to be. Also only if your vision is "obscured" in such a manner to prevent the driver from seeing through the rear window is it a highway violation in Alabama. If you have a question concerning it do a google search specific to your states highway laws. In Alabama it is Title 32. There are many things that people don't know about concerning traffic laws. Most of the time it's a matter of IF the officer want's to issue a citation for the specific offense or violation.

You can take this information as fact as I am a Certified Police officer for the state of Alabama and Municipality of Eufaula, AL.

Here's a site for reference concerning your specific state:

http://www.trafficticketsecrets.com/...ffic-laws.html

G/L. Be Safe! Use common sense! State laws are a minimum for safety only. Some laws are outdated and need revision.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:54 PM

i live in florida and we do not have inspections in our state, and you can not get a ticket for a roll bar in your car, if i can drive my dads 2000+ hp vette on the street you can drive your car without getting a ticket.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Steve69SS396
Anybody would be safer in any car if they wore a helmet. With the harness on the only thing my head can hit is the head rest part of my seat. I added the padding as extra protection, especially when climbing in and out of the car.
You would be surprised how far your head could move, even while you are wearing a harness.

Rich
Old 04-14-2010, 03:54 PM

Don't quote me on this but I don't think you can remove or obstruct the factory seatbelts and get away with it. So running a harness would still be illegal even if it is safer, right? I've always heard that if the cage touches the seatbelt it's a no no as well.

Each state is different for sure, and here in VA with annual inspections they can fail you for just about whatever they want. I would imagine the inspector not being able to get in the car would be one of those reasons. There are always those shops that just ask you to turn your lights and wipers on though!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by fasteddie94
Don't quote me on this....I've always heard that if ....!
No offense intended towards you at all- but this is what started the question in the first place. The internet is a great place for information but I think a lot of urban legends have been given more strength and live a lot longer.

The ONLY way to know for sure if something is illegal is to either do some research on your own into your own state laws or find a cop or two and ask them if they know of anything law concerning 'x'. Granted not every cop is an expert on vehicle and traffic law so find more than one to see if there is a difference of opinion. And every state has different laws so if its legal in CA don't assume you can get away with it in Nevada too.

Honestly if someone starts out a statement with "I've heard that if..." I usually disregard it as being true.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by fasteddie94
Don't quote me on this but I don't think you can remove or obstruct the factory seatbelts and get away with it. So running a harness would still be illegal even if it is safer, right? I've always heard that if the cage touches the seatbelt it's a no no as well.

Each state is different for sure, and here in VA with annual inspections they can fail you for just about whatever they want. I would imagine the inspector not being able to get in the car would be one of those reasons. There are always those shops that just ask you to turn your lights and wipers on though!
Actually, in Maine, DOT approvale is required for seatbelts. My 5 point harness, by the book, does not have DOT certification, so by the book I am in violation. There would potentially be legal ramifications in the event of an accident should I be injured with any seatbelt specific cause. Otherwise I can think no reason anyone would object to seatbelts being replaced every two years that are certified for use at the track as opposed to legal but deadly lap belts in 40 year old antique cars...