Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Rollcage Information...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 11:56 PM

Rollcage Information...

i heard that if you put a rollcage in your car, and you drive it on the streets, you can get a ticket for it and they could impound your car. i dont know if it's true or not, cuz i think my friend has no idea what he's talking about since he's always full of ****, but i was just curious about that one. i just wanted to know, in the state of florida, is it illegal to drive your car as a daily driver with a roll cage in it? is there anything else i should know that if i put it in my car it makes it illegal? thanks guys
Old 12-12-2002, 07:05 AM

LMAO!!!!!!

HAHA This is a strange question. The only thing I can see they would have a problem with if it restricts your rear or forward vision. But it isn't illegal.

I know this might restrict your side vision so don't drive with this up.
http://www.hustonstreetracing.com/jerrypics/inside2.jpg

Also see the cross bar in the back.....they might not like that.
Here is a little better pic ( before paint and interior)
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/c0266...42I.9AsFVfGN6h
Old 12-12-2002, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Never heard of that....

Although the a full cage could be damarging to your head in an accident if you are not wearing your helmet. I have a six point bar whcih works out just fine.

Of course, it could be some funky law in your town or state I suppose...
Old 12-12-2002, 12:22 PM

i think it's bull****... like, honestly. but my friend believes that it's illegal, that he heard once you put a rollcage in your car, it's not street legal and if you get caught on the streets with it, you're ****ed. is there any way to find out if this is true? cuz i'd hate to make my car a 9 second car and not be able to drive it around south beach, the grove, and anywhere i can take it to get everyone to break neck. i saw some wigger driving around in a 9/11 with a rollcage in it on south beach, but my boy was like "wait till he gets pulled over". just trying to make sure if it's illegal or legal. thanks guys
Old 12-12-2002, 03:02 PM

Only way to find out for sure,is to contact your local DMV.

If anything they might get you for obstructing the rearview mirror,but in DE as long as you have 2 outside mirror's.....you dont need the 1 inside.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:14 PM
Exposed Member

Never heard of it being illegal. Unless Florida has some weird law concerning it.

I don't see what grounds they could object to it really.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:09 PM

i have a 10 point in my car and i drive it a lot in the summer and never gotten a ticket for it. the only time i have ever been pulled over was when i was uncapped at like 2 in the morning going to spend the night at the park (car show the next day) and he said i was holding up traffic the only cars out were my buddies behind me. what a dumbass cop!

i don't know why they would give you a ticket, they are a lot safer then not having one. and if done right the only way it gets in the way is the X in the back like in mine
Old 11-10-2009, 03:16 PM

i doubt its illegal but its unsafe that is for sure
Old 11-10-2009, 06:57 PM

7 years old??? wtf
Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by slowride94z
7 years old??? wtf
That's got to be a new record for this site! :
Old 11-12-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
That's got to be a new record for this site! :
Dang soup can and string internet connection.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 PM

If you have a 5 point harness they are not DOT approved and you can get a ticket for that, So ive been told.
Ive got a couple of freinds that wrecked a 98 Ta with a cage(no helment). It beat them up pretty damn bad. They hit a tree off the road, The car was stuck and the headers set the grass on fire under the car burning it up. He had just got the car back from putting the cage in 2 weeks before.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:25 PM

It's a really old thread but after reading the first post, I got to thinking. Why would it be illegal to have a roll cage in a car while many jeeps are driving around on the streets with a cage? They may not have door bars but it's still a cage.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:16 PM

I drive every day with a roll cage in the car. I always thought it was safer untill the tech-inspecter cop at the track reminded me that the head/steel bar exchange is going to result in the head loosing.

You would want to wear the 5 point with the submarine belt in place as it is the belt that keeps the belts (body) secure from raising up in an accident (look at the lap belt mounting position relative to the body, you are free to raise out of the seat, shoulder belts will not stop all of this motion early on).

Probably break a lot of ribs in a side collision, assuming the door bar is in close proximity to the body.

I've never heard the illegal part, but less than perfectly safe, likely.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:59 PM

One of the times I was pulled over was because the officer couldn't see my seatbelt. The harness sits low and isn't visible through the glass like a normal belt would be. He immediately let me go. Aside from that, I've never had a problem. But that's Texas....

Quick Reply: Rollcage Information...