Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

roll cage question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 11:34 AM

roll cage question

can someone post a link to tell me how many points are required for a roll cage at what times and speeds. Thanks
Old 02-05-2004, 12:04 PM

you want to meet the IHRA and/or NHRA standards for safety...?!

How strange. Few do.

If you are wanting 11s and have a coupe....5pt bar will get you to 10.0 with no trouble...for the time being. The sanctioning bodies are still, but is currently tabled, discussing additional requirements for t-top cars.

There's a main hoop behind the front passenger area. Two rear struts and one forward strut on the driver's side that must intersect the driver's arm between the elbow and the shoulder when in a normal seated position. Bolt-in is fine is you use a 6x6 plate on top and a 6x6 plate on bottom of all the attachment points. Weld-in uses a single 6x6 plate fully welded around the perimeter and used as the attachment point for the rollbar tubes. All welds must have ample penetration and completely connect the joint. No grinding or smoothing of the welds may be done. There are minimum thicknesses and diameters based on type of material and the number of points of the rollbar/cage.

That isn't a lot of specifics, just generalities. I'd say spend the dough and get a rulebook or take the car to a reputable shop that knows the rules and has done quality competition rollbar work before.

Good luck...

Oh..above is mostly NHRA stuff. 11.99 and quicker needs the 5pt. IHRA is 11.49 and quicker.

Run 9.99, 135mph, or modify the floorpan/firewall and you're looking at a full cage for either sanctioning body.....convertibles have a completely different and more stringent standard.

Corvettes, Viper and exotics...well, lets just say the t-top rule ain't being applied yet cause it would require they enact rules for the targa-top cars too...... and essentially outlaw Vettes and Vipers at the track without a rollbar. As far as I have found, this proposed rule is not based on accident or injury statistics. It's a thought some lawyer or insurance person had after eating tacos and having nightmares caused by the horrendous gas which followed.
Old 02-05-2004, 01:59 PM

Doug summed it up pretty well. None of these rules are "evidence based". They are "rules of thumb" and I would also assume they are getting more stringent due to fear of lawsuits, not any real safety data. I am over 135mph in my 'vert and any car over 135mph needs a full (8-point) cage. I have a 6-point. I don't make a fool of myself at the local track and have therefore luckily managed to avoid any problems to date.

For the side bars, swingouts meeting specifications are acceptable. They really make a street/strip car a lot more livable. I'd suggest a 6-point (with swingouts) rather than a 5-point.

Rich Krause