Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Race Car & Trailer Insurance?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Question Race Car & Trailer Insurance?

Anyone have this? I just started the process of getting a quote. We never had insurance on our race cars or trailers but I had a nightmare about the whole trailer rolling down a hill with the car in it and getting destroyed. I just thought - what if it's stolen?

I have NO clue what to expect out of this quote but I'm guessing it's going to be in the $500-$1500 range for both trailers and both cars.

Does anyone here have insurance currently? If so, with whom? I'd like to get more than one quote...

Old 03-19-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by 5SPDCHK
...the whole trailer rolling down a hill with the car in it and getting destroyed....

Park the mustang directly behind the trailer. Mustang will stop the trailer. How do I know that???? I backed Linda's jeep into my parked trailer with firebird sitting on it. Impact caused the wheel chocks to pop out like tiddlewinks. Trailer rolled down the hill and smacked into the mustang. Crunched the back of the jeep, rear tailight of the firebird, and impaled the front facia of the mustang. I still have to fix the jeep.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:44 PM

That really sucks Jim!!!

How about a better example... let's say the enclosed trailer was stolen with the car in it. Or it goes up in flames with the car in it.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:20 PM

I have a 24ft deckover gooseneck trailer. From what the insurance company said, if im in an accident the insurance will cover the trailer and whatever is on it as long as its mine...... Thats through Allstate insurance
Old 03-26-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by deerslayinrenek
I have a 24ft deckover gooseneck trailer. From what the insurance company said, if im in an accident the insurance will cover the trailer and whatever is on it as long as its mine...... Thats through Allstate insurance

We're not so lucky in Michigan. My trailer ins. covers just the trailer. I have to carry full coverage ins. on the firebird too.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by deerslayinrenek
My motorhome and truck are covered separately from the trailers and racecars. If the motorhome is stolen with the trailer on the back or if the trailer is hit while attached to the motorhome only the motorhome is covered. The racecars cannot be insured with regular auto insurance either.

I am still waiting on a quote - not sure what's taking so long... Maybe I should try another company that is more familiar with this sort of insurance?!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 AM

You could try Allstate Insurance and see how you make out........Good Luck
Old 03-26-2010, 01:26 PM

I have my car insured for NON op status. It is like pissing in the wind and I would get the value of a 94z28 back. I would need an agreed upon policy limit for the car (which I assume is what you are doing) to be certain to recover my losses. I haven't gone through such a policy application yet.

As for the trailer, I have trailer insurance which covers it while sitting in the yard or if stolen including the contents up to the value of my policy (I would assume). That costs about $90 a year. Asside from that, in CA with AAA as my insurer the trailer and its contents are covered by the vehicle policy while towing. As long as they are hooked up, the vehicle covers everything attached to it.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 PM

I'm going to have to look into what's covered while the trailer is attached to the truck or motorhome. I never thought about that.

I just got the quote back. It's $1749/year and covers both trailers and both racecars when NOT under power (I figured this but for $1749 I think they should be covered under power). I'm surprised it's this high. I may try another company that better known in the drag racing community.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to keep looking into it. I just keep thinking about what we would lose if a trailer disappeared with one of our cars in it. Ugh.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:11 AM

a few years ago i got rearended while towing my bass boat. The boat and trailer had 0 deductable. I got screwed cause the tow vehicle is what covered it in that situation so i had to pay the $500 deductable from my truck.
I was pissed at the cop becuase he didnt give the 17 girl a ticket. LOL i was stopped at a stop sign and she didnt stop.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
a few years ago i got rearended while towing my bass boat. The boat and trailer had 0 deductable. I got screwed cause the tow vehicle is what covered it in that situation so i had to pay the $500 deductable from my truck.
I was pissed at the cop becuase he didnt give the 17 girl a ticket. LOL i was stopped at a stop sign and she didnt stop.
I'm confused - if your boat/trailer had been insured, her insurance would have paid to repair it? Did your insurance pay for her car to be repaired as well?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM

she didnt get a ticket. the cop said it adds insult to injury .
Mich is a no fault state so your own insurance pays instead of the other person's insurance like in at-fault states.
There is a thread like this on motownmuscle right now and and insurance agent responded and also said in Mi the trailer is covered by the tow vehicle
Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
she didnt get a ticket. the cop said it adds insult to injury .
Mich is a no fault state so your own insurance pays instead of the other person's insurance like in at-fault states.
There is a thread like this on motownmuscle right now and and insurance agent responded and also said in Mi the trailer is covered by the tow vehicle
PA is supposed to be a "no fault" state as well but insurance is usually paid out by the party at fault. I don't get it but that's a whole 'nother thread!!

I'll check out motownmuscle when I get a chance. I got a bunch of names and numbers from a thread on yellowbullet so I'm going to start pricing other companies too.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 AM

lol i know what you mean. I have been told your insurance pays then they go after the other party's insurance to get the money back but i dont know.
All i know is when I was in Ill(fault state) for school and got rearended it was a much easier process there.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Here is a place that can quote you insurance for your car and trailer

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...ight=insurance