Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

No top end--Any advise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 AM

Oh don't worry I know it is just a short steep fall from glory to gory I am still so new at this that just seeing a video of my car is exciting to me. As for as the car itself---I live ten miles or so from the track and want to drive it there on the weekends the run it at the track. I have a SHO that I drive back and forth to the store and school. Since my large tires make the speedometer basically useless in the Camaro, I use the tach. I will tell you though that going down the four lane at 3000-3500rpms at around 50mph is annoying and noisy.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 PM

Congrats......I managed to win the Street Stick Class fri night at my track with my daily driver Camaro, it's only my third time to the track......I made 9 passes down the track before friday night.......that was pretty awesome but im sure it'll be a long time before I can pull off another one of those........Best of Luck .............Mike

Last edited by deerslayinrenek; 03-30-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Daddy's Girl
I did not get anywhere close to 93 mph. but it was more than likely due to the fact that I was already braking and in neutral before I cleared the 1000' mark. I made some really amature mistakes last Saturday so I will return again this week and not make them again. Just one example is that I thought I was running DR's on the rear--not so just 295 radials---at 12 psi. I thought I was suppose to let the air out to get more footprint--not on radials I guess....tell you what- let me go back and correct the mess ups I made this week and let you know what my new times are and see where I need to go from there. Thank you all very much for your help--it is truly appreciated....
Why on earth do you shift into netural on the top end? I can't think of any reason to do that. In my firebird I do shift into neutral before staging and give it a little umpah to clear the plugs and to make sure I'm shifting into first (turbo 400 with a reverse patern manual valve body). The other cars I drive have computer controlled transmissions which I leave in "D" and let the computer do the shifting. I see your took a tour of the track (good move) and inflated your tires.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:47 PM

Sorry I have been busy with classes lately and the track has been closed for weather so I have not got any new news as of yet. Kazman- that was a post following one of my first nights at the track and I thought the 1/4 mile ended at the timing billboard so when I passed it I started my shut down....found out later that was between the 1/8th and 1000' mark. Tour of the track took care of that issue and I keep the pedal to the metal till I pass the last cone now. Still learning. I am anxious to get the slicks on and run it again. They are having a big blowout at the track this weekend and Test n Tunes for non-competitors are cut to only two hours so I am unsure if I will go this Friday or not. There will be a line out the door to run so I may wait till the crowd goes away on the 10th. Thank you all----I will keep you posted.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Daddy's Girl
Sorry I have been busy with classes lately and the track has been closed for weather so I have not got any new news as of yet. Kazman- that was a post following one of my first nights at the track and I thought the 1/4 mile ended at the timing billboard so when I passed it I started my shut down....found out later that was between the 1/8th and 1000' mark. Tour of the track took care of that issue and I keep the pedal to the metal till I pass the last cone now. Still learning. I am anxious to get the slicks on and run it again. They are having a big blowout at the track this weekend and Test n Tunes for non-competitors are cut to only two hours so I am unsure if I will go this Friday or not. There will be a line out the door to run so I may wait till the crowd goes away on the 10th. Thank you all----I will keep you posted.

My consern is you shifting into neutral at the top of the track. IMO that's just an accident waiting to happen. I understand about "loosing" where the finish line is located. Walking the track really helps that issue. Final race last season I lost because I "lost" the location of the finish line. Did the same thing first race this season. In the 5th round of both races. For some reason I was picking up the stripe 10' after the actual line. I took a walk out to visit Mr Finish line.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:48 AM

It has stock exhaust with cat. I have a cut out but could not get it open today.

Did you get it open on your second attemp? This is way restictive, your headers need to bo open.

Last edited by Z28SORR; 04-09-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Hello again---The reason I was shifting the car into neutral after I cross the finish line is because that is what I was told to do by the fella who owned the car before me. It is an automatic but I manual shift so I can adjust my shifting points myself. At the end of the run I was told to bump the car into neutral and just tap the accelerator to run out any excess fuel which may be accumulating as I am braking to slow down. The shut down area at this specific track is VERY short and in fact they are changing it to where cars running under 12 sec. can only run 1/8th mile for safety reasons. Is it not necessary to shift into neutral or will it not help in any way?
Z28SORR- The cutout I spoke of is one of the true "hillbilly do it yourself screw-ups" by the prior owner. Seems he took a saws-all to the exhaust just after the first cat and cut a 6" section of the exhaust completely out then installed a 8" metal mesh sleeve over the part cut out and then reinstalled it over the exhaust using clamps on both ends---problem is the clamps rusted shut as well as the metal mesh is rusted and now it is kinda half on and half off and until I figure out a solution that will have to be the way it remains I guess. I want to rework the exhaust system soon but I have a couple other little items which I need to take care of first. Thanks for the advise folks.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:27 AM

[QUOTE=Daddy's Girl;5903839]Hello again---The reason I was shifting the car into neutral after I cross the finish line is because that is what I was told to do by the fella who owned the car before me. It is an automatic but I manual shift so I can adjust my shifting points myself. At the end of the run I was told to bump the car into neutral and just tap the accelerator to run out any excess fuel which may be accumulating as I am braking to slow down. /QUOTE]

I would advise you not to shift into neutral. One less thing to do. I perfer to let the trans do the shifting when bracket racing (again less to do and more consistant). I do shift my firebird due to its manual valve body. Previous owner may have a "cold" set of plugs in the car that require cleaning hence the pop into neutral and rev a bit to "clean" 'em. The only other reason to pop it into neutral at the end of the run is to check the plugs. Procedure is to pop into neutral (and no tappin of the gas) and coast to the turnoff. Stop there and get towed back into the pits. Plugs can be pulled to see how they are burning at the end of the run.