Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Mission accomplished... N/A 11 second Bolt-On LT1!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 09:28 AM

Bob, that link was a dead link. I'm always up for reading another translation of HP vs. TQ though.

Sar2k- Congrats on the new best, that's VERY impressive!

If you don't mind me asking, what all did you change from the GMHTP shootout, till now?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:29 AM

I thought all Steve did was put on some BMR relocation brackets if I remember....that and getting to a track where its 60 degrees cooler, no wind, and that hooks unlike Englishtown that day!
Old 01-24-2003, 04:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob Cosby
[B]Congratulations....very nice run indeed.

With all due respect, this is simply wishful thinking. Weight is certainly an issue, but the LS1 makes 30-50 HP more - and that's hard to overcome.

I guess I should have been more specific. What I ment was that a LS1 with 300 RWHP will still out run a LT1 with 300 RWHP. So many people think that it is incredible that a 300 RWHP LS1 is still quite a bit faster than a 300 RWHP LT1. They forget that with HP equal to one another the LS1's advantage is the wieght. That is what bothers me a bit. I can see why you responded to my post as "
wishfull thinking".
I sometimes type before I understand what I want to say. My car had 10 more RWHP then my buddies LS1 but he still ran 12.0's & my car runs 12.3's. He was about 200 LBS lighter....

Hope this cleared up what I ment.

Also Bob. I met you last May in Ohio for the NMRA event. My friend has a '99 Cobra with the solid axle. He is on Corral too. Not to sure about his screen name. He didn't race that day but we talked for about 15 minutes with you. We were there visiting another friend named Glenn who races an 8 second SSO mustang. I guess my next question is why is a Mustang guy over here...??? j/k

Sweet car Bob. I think my friend is trying to run like you do... & hope I cleared up my first statement....
Old 01-24-2003, 05:10 PM

Yes, you cleared it up. Also, there is a lot more to ET than just power and weight - believe it or not. That's a fortunate reality for me.

Why am I here? Here is what I used to own....http://members.***.net/rdcosby1/ta/

SMOKINV8...damn, that sucks. Will try and find another one.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Bob Cosby
Yes, you cleared it up. Also, there is a lot more to ET than just power and weight - believe it or not. That's a fortunate reality for me.

I totally understand this Bob...... I don't think I stated anywhere that I didn't believe.... I've been to the track. I know what it takes........
Old 01-24-2003, 06:43 PM

Lightbulb

Originally posted by GreenbeanZ28
I thought all Steve did was put on some BMR relocation brackets if I remember....that and getting to a track where its 60 degrees cooler, no wind, and that hooks unlike Englishtown that day!
Russ since E-Town I've installed a cut-out and the LCA brackets helped BIG TIME with the 60'... plus No Problem Raceway snaps axles & driveshafts frequently since it hooks so well. Also I put the car on a diet for the winter in the "quest for 11's". I removed 102 pounds of static weight (rear seat, subwoofer, spare, jack, emptied glove box contense) and 24 lbs of rotating weight by running ET Drags. 1 Lb rotating weight = 3 Lb static weight.
Also I've had time to dial in the rear suspension and learn what hooks and does not hook. Add all that to nearly perfect air and you get a cool time slip.
Steve...
Old 01-25-2003, 08:49 PM

Stephen! someone told me about this today, huge congrats! Send me some of that incredible air already! Happy to see that we're all not crazy and that it can be done.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:05 PM

Steve,
Can you explain the term Static weight and how it relates to the rotatinal weight?
Old 01-28-2003, 05:47 PM

Arrow

Static weight is weight which does not move in relation to the rest of the vehicle... seats, battery, air bags, body panels, etc...
Rotating weight would be tires/wheels, driveshaft, balancer, and any other part which is driven by the engine. Not only do these items have a static weight which contributes to the vehicles over all weight, but these items require power to be put into motion and maintained at speed. When this "rotating weight" is decreased the engine has less work to do. Engine acceleration is increased and force required to turn these items at speed is reduced. Sorry, but this is an over simplification of the dynamics involved.
I'd like to dig out the old Physics books to find a formula to better illustrate this and come up with a sold number for static vs rotating. This was brought to my attention by some folks who have been in this game for quite some time now. Gotta love "Old School" info.
I'm sure some of the gurus on this board could better explain. Might be a good question for the Advanced tech section.
Steve...
Old 01-28-2003, 05:57 PM

sorry i'm late.. Congrat's on the times things really flying.. Make me wanna chop 300lbs outta my pig.. Naaa i like the leather.. how do you like the drag's? i went from the 10.5 ET Street to the 11.5 and its like a night and day diff. in a inch.. hard to believe but.. Congrat's again..
Old 01-29-2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by IllusionalTA
sorry i'm late.. Congrat's on the times things really flying.. Make me wanna chop 300lbs outta my pig.. Naaa i like the leather.. how do you like the drag's? i went from the 10.5 ET Street to the 11.5 and its like a night and day diff. in a inch.. hard to believe but.. Congrat's again..
Illusional, nice color car What is the tire diameter and what wheels are you running with the 11.5 ET Streets ? I'm dumping the stick in favor of a turbo 400 this year and loosing about 200lbs of weight. These guys are getting too fast. We need to keep up at least a little.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:06 AM

Nice work, Mr. LS1 of LT1's
Old 01-29-2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by kazman
Illusional, nice color car What is the tire diameter and what wheels are you running with the 11.5 ET Streets ? I'm dumping the stick in favor of a turbo 400 this year and loosing about 200lbs of weight. These guys are getting too fast. We need to keep up at least a little.
Dumping the STick why.. thats what i love most about my car other than the cadillac like ride... The et streets are a 26x11.5x15 Just a wee bit fatter.. But they stick and do a ton better job w/ the street twin than the 10.5's did.. But need to upgrade the d.s also even w/ a steel one it won't snap. it just spins the splines around in the yoke.. So.. i'm waiting for that to come in.. OH and btw.. Nice color car yourself .. . oh and i send ya a pm..
Old 01-29-2003, 04:02 PM

Stephen I tried some 10.5 ET Streets a while back and they would not hook for me, best 60' on them was 1.67. I'm going to try some 11.5 ET Streets and see how they do vs buying more BFGs. The only reason I went with the Drags was my BFG's were down to the steel belts and Angie @ Thunder had just got new tires for her car, so she cut me a sweet deal on the used Drags. I will say though the Drags are AWESOME!!! I've only run them that one night and they dead hooked each pass on a COLD night.
Steve...
Old 01-30-2003, 10:35 AM

Why is different rockers considered a "bolt-On"? it touches oil?
someone fill me in on this. thanks

congrats on the time...

Quick Reply: Mission accomplished... N/A 11 second Bolt-On LT1!!!