Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > Motorsport Discussion > Drag Racing Technique
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

Launching

I have to admit even though I have drag raced many cars 99 percent of them were either FWD or RWD auto. My 95 z28 is a 6speed car and I know I can't expect to get the same results as in FWD. What I mean is I used to have a bunch of high horse FWDs and the easiest way to launch was rev to 4-5k and drop the clutch.

Now with a RWD it's not so easy as it does not have the weight of the motor over the tires. I used to race a 75 Cordoba (lol stripped out 360 4bbl) and that would scorch 275s all day and took a little technique to pull.And even in my old Omni GLHs tire spin was a factor and were only talking 150-200 horsepower. And my SHO was an auto that was rather easy to launch compared to this 95.(Power Brake) What are some of the best methods\trick used to get solid pull. I was just out tonight and on solid dry ground with only hitting 2.5k on the clutch the rear was drifting into the left lane once I stepped on the gas and took at least a second to recover. Any thoughts or experiences welcome?

BTW the tires\rims are GoodYear F1 275/40/17 all around and mods are Lingenfelter Intake, Magnaflow Catback.

And the really sad aspect of all this is the only RWD stick I ever had was a 1980 Toyota Corolla 1.8!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!

Last edited by Rich Weigel; 10-15-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: forgot
Rich Weigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #2

Re: Launching

Well the problem is your on street tires, i would recommend getting a pair of Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials, My buddy launches his procharged camaro at 3,800 rpm at the drag strip, and has the best 60 foot time launching in that range.

dark-evader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to HardcoreRM125
Re: Launching

I have pretty ****ty street tires (Good Year Eagles that about had it at this point) ... my car is a M6.

I rev it up high enough she wont stall (around 2200ish) and feather out the clutch. By feather, I release it hard til it hooks, lay into the throttle and ease it out the rest of the way (this takes literally less than half a second). Half the time she will hook at a low enough RPM that it won't break the tires loose and I can somewhat control the wheel spin through 1st, into 2nd.

Sticky tires, well, I've found it easier to light them up, and hold the throttle at one spot exactly. When the RPM's start to drop, the tires are warming up and getting sticky enough. Stop. Stage. Rev it to incrementally higher RPM's dumping the clutch the same every time. You'll find the sweet spot where it launches good.

Also, when I let the clutch out on a launch, prior to actually launching - I let the clutch out to that point where you can "feel" it but it isn't moving the car yet (if that makes sense). This takes the drivetrain slack out of the equation somewhat and makes it easier on the entire driveline.

This is about all the advice I can offer after 15 years of launching dirt bikes, quads, cars, trucks, etc. And I don't think I ever broke on a launch yet ...
95' Z28 Vert M6, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, 3" Cutout, FM Cat-back, CAI, 1.6PM's, 918's, 10* Stuff, BRE Cam, PCMforless, 30# SVO, 255LPH Racetronix w/Hot Wire Kit, Mallory 685, 160*, LT4 KM, !AIR, !CAGS, Pro-5.0, Perma-Cool Oil Cooler, LCA, SFC, STB, PHR, TA & Cross Member, G-Load Brace.
HardcoreRM125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:44 PM

Reply Post New Thread