Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

How important is having the SFI approvale up to date?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 09:11 AM

How important is having the SFI approvale up to date?

Long story short Ive got some parts that have been sitting in my shop, New, that I have yet to install. Mainly a still in the box new Blowproof bellhousing that has never been touched. The cert runs out first of next year. How hard do they check things like these at most tracks? At our local track the only thing they harp on is a roll cage/bar if it is quicker than a 11.50. Im fixing to go back to work and wondering if I need to spend the money to have them recerted, Thanks
Old 08-28-2009, 06:49 PM

It really depends on your tech inspectors. They can be very **** and want to visually check every tag however things like flexplates and tranny/flexplate shields in a door car can be very difficult to check. For things like that, they have to take your word that it's still valid.

If however someone decides to check it mid way through a season and finds that it's expired, they have the full rights to deny your tech card and prevent you from racing. There's nothing stopping them from completely banning you from racing either.

Chassis certification has nothing to do with valid SFI equipment. You can take a bare chassis for inspection.

Our local track for a typical bracket race mainly checks the seat belt expiry because it's so easy to check. Nobody is going to be able to get under a car to see if the shields are valid. At least if you have the shields, you're making an effort to have the proper safety equipment even if they are expired. We all know that the shields are non wear items and it's a money grab between the NHRA and the manufacturers to get shields recertified or replaced every few years. I change my flexplate when it expires mainly because by that time, I've worn it out. I use a CSR full shield and it expires at the end of the year. I haven't decided if I'll buy a new one yet. I hate having to change my belts every 2 years when I only have a short 3-4 month race season. After 2 years, the belts are still new but I still have to change them. I can see in the southern states where they can race 11 months of the year that belts will get a lot of wear and tear. It's just another money grab.

I wouldn't recommend going to any national or divisional race with expired safety equipment. Belts, flexplate, tranny and flexplate shields all expire. A mesh window net expires. A ribbon window net doesn't.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Since the parts are not actually installed at this time, send them back to the manufacturer for recertification.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:03 AM

The only time I ever had a scattershield date checked was in heads-up racing at nationally-sanctioned events. And then only once or twice out of 3 seasons. Never have I had it checked under any other circumstances.

I would suggest it is highly unlikely that anyone will look at it - especially if it is a new-looking piece.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:41 PM

Good deal. I would send it back to the manufacturer, btu Ive heard that is about as well off to buy a new one due to the cost of there recert prossess. As for the belts( which have been installed but never used, They came with 1 free recert, so I guess Ill send those back. Thanks fellas