Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

How does reaction time effect 1/4 mile times?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 10:44 PM

How does reaction time effect 1/4 mile times?

Found last years track time slips. I had a reaction time of .3561 and a 2.1908 60'. If my reaction time was .0*** would that cut a third of a second off my 1/4 mile time and lower my 60' times? I also ran against an evolution who had a 13.66 with 115.72. His reaction time was .2440 and 1.9860 60'. The rpm's seem high for his 1/4 mile time. What do you think?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:58 PM

I don't think reaction time has nothing to do with 1/4 mile times. the clock starts when you cross the starting line no matter how long you take to react to the green light.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:18 PM

r/t has nothing to do with ur et's or 60ft times.... it dosent effect them at all... u could sit at the line for 10 sec after the green bulb lights up and run the same time if u got a perfect light
Old 02-24-2008, 10:54 AM

It does however affect whether you'll win or lose a race.

If both opponents are dialed in to run as close as possible to the dial without breaking out, the driver with the better reaction time will usually win unless he's way off on his dial in.

As mentioned above, RT will not change 60', ET etc of a run. Many years ago during a time trial, I launched off the line and the car stalled. Didn't move forward enough to trip the starting timer. I ratcheted the shifter back to neutral, started the engine, ratcheted back to first and launched. 10 second reaction time and my ET stayed the same.

Last edited by Stephen 87 IROC; 02-24-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Reaction time has nothing to do with ET, or does it...?

Shallow staging, the art of just barely turning on the stage bulb, increases the amount of rollout the vehicle has prior to starting the timing clocks. It also generally results in a slower reaction time unless the driver compensates for shallow staging (generally not a good idea to "adjust" the driver).

Because of the longer rollout, the 60 foot times are usually better resulting in a lower ET.

A deep stage where the driver rolls through the prestage bulb generally results in a lower reaction tim but a higher sixty foot time (less rollout), and consequently a higher ET.

Bracket racers often play with their staging location to compensate for last minute changes after their dial in has been recorded...

Lets say a car has a dial of 9.50 but a cloud rolls overhead and suddenly there is a gust of cool breeze from behind... Theis may insire a driver to deep stage to reduce the chances of breaking out at the big end, for example.

There is no direct impact between RT and ET, but there is definitely a correlation between staging techniques and RT and staging techniques and ET.

How is that for "simple"?
Old 02-24-2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by tnthub
Reaction time has nothing to do with ET, or does it...?

Shallow staging, the art of just barely turning on the stage bulb, increases the amount of rollout the vehicle has prior to starting the timing clocks. It also generally results in a slower reaction time unless the driver compensates for shallow staging (generally not a good idea to "adjust" the driver).

Because of the longer rollout, the 60 foot times are usually better resulting in a lower ET.

A deep stage where the driver rolls through the prestage bulb generally results in a lower reaction tim but a higher sixty foot time (less rollout), and consequently a higher ET.

Bracket racers often play with their staging location to compensate for last minute changes after their dial in has been recorded...

Lets say a car has a dial of 9.50 but a cloud rolls overhead and suddenly there is a gust of cool breeze from behind... Theis may insire a driver to deep stage to reduce the chances of breaking out at the big end, for example.

There is no direct impact between RT and ET, but there is definitely a correlation between staging techniques and RT and staging techniques and ET.

How is that for "simple"?
Very well stated. I normally deep stage. Under the same conditions if I shallow stage I will be a .1 slower on RT and the car will go .1 faster ET. When racing I don't change my staging location. I "adjust" my RT by chaning my launch rpm and usually hold .02 to .08 then back in on the top end.

Last edited by kazman; 02-24-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:45 PM

Technically, shallow staging gives you a couple of inches head start. By the time the tires break the beam, the car has already moved a couple of inches and is gaining momentum. If you deep stage, inertia has to get the car moving as it's already trying to cross the starting line.

If you could back up 3 feet and still break the timing light without red lighting, you'd have a fantastic 60' time because of the head start.

A taller front tire will give you a better rollout so you don't break the guard beam before breaking the stage beam. This can also give you a slight head start.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen 87 IROC
Technically, shallow staging gives you a couple of inches head start. By the time the tires break the beam, the car has already moved a couple of inches and is gaining momentum. If you deep stage, inertia has to get the car moving as it's already trying to cross the starting line.

If you could back up 3 feet and still break the timing light without red lighting, you'd have a fantastic 60' time because of the head start.

A taller front tire will give you a better rollout so you don't break the guard beam before breaking the stage beam. This can also give you a slight head start.
Deep staging shortens the track by 6-8 inches. Deep staging also virturally eliminates rollout. Front tire pressure doesn't effect RT and front tire diameter does very little. If you not bracket racing and your looking for the fasest ET then put the largest diameter front tires and stage as shallow as possible.