Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

How do i get the tires hot on the track

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:59 PM

How do i get the tires hot on the track

ok, i know about line lock and i dont want to buy it, how am i supposed to the the tires hot in a stick shift if i cant do a brake stand? Will just burning them a little be enoght????
Old 02-05-2004, 01:53 AM

that depends on what kind of tires we're talking about, normally the consensus is street tires you just wanna rotate them a few times to 'clean' them off
drag radials and stickier DOT slicks seem to like it when you white smoke them some aka smokey burnout lasting a few seconds or so

with a stick car, to do a burnout... rev the motor up to about 3500-4000rpm sidestep the clutch and stab (quickly) at the brake pedal with your clutch foot while holding a steady amount of pressure on the gas pedal, your car is gonna wanna move forward some during this just be quick with your feet. it will take a few times to get it right but its ez after practicing a couple times
once you have the rear tires spinning hold the engine rpms steady no need to rev real high and bounce the rev limiter and if you let it drop too low it will stall on you, 3000-3500 or so rpm seems to work fine for me,

to 'clean' off street tires just side step the clutch after pulling forward out of the waterbox let the tires spin for a second and proceed to roll out to the staging lights
Old 02-05-2004, 07:22 AM

Re: How do i get the tires hot on the track

Originally posted by Ville H. Valo
how am i supposed to the the tires hot in a stick shift if i cant do a brake stand? Will just burning them a little be enoght????
Stick shift no linelock.

Rev to 4000rpm, pop clutch, move your clutch foot quickly and hit the brake pedal. Trick is to rev high enough to get the car spinning without moving forward and not high enough to hit the rev limiter. If the car starts to move forward the abs will kick in. Its not as hard as it sounds. But a line lock makes is easier.