Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Harness/Rollbar

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 08:27 AM

Harness/Rollbar

I didn't know where to post this so move it if need be.

I have a sparco harness and a rollbar now. I need to know how you guys are mounting the harness to the roll-bar. I have the backbrace (bar across the middle) What is the proper way to mount the harnes to the bar? Drill horizontally or dirll vertically?? If anyone has some pictures it would be very helpful.

by the way It's a snap in harness so you need to mount an eye-bolt.

Pics PLEASE
Old 01-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure if you are allowed to drill holes in the cross-bar. Mine has a steel tab welded to the bar, horizontally, on the back of the bar, to accept the bolt for "bolt-in" style harness. Alternatively, you can simply wrap the belts around the crossbar if you have the "wrap-around" style hardware.

You can just about make out the harness bolt in this picture.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:19 PM

I don't think you can wrap the harnesses around the bar......don't think it's leagal or safe....cause they slide then.

The bracket thing might be good though--can i buy a bracket somewhere....or what is it like?
Old 01-30-2004, 09:28 PM

There is a wrap-around type. Safe and legal

Also the tab will NEED to be welded to the crossbar, usually straight up or facing the rear.

http://www.geocities.com/jonaddis842...llbarside2.JPG

theres a pic.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:24 AM

When you use a wrap around style, you just need to fabricate stops on the bar to keep them from sliding. I've seen something as simple as a hose clamp on the bar that works.

Or you can be like me and have the shoulder straps go through the hole in the race seat before wrapping around the bar. Once they go through the seat, they can't slide off your shoulders.

Only a harness designed to be wrapped around a bar can be done like that. If your harness has an eye mount at the end, usually a Y harness, then it needs to be bolted to a mounting tab that's welded to the crossbar.

Last edited by Stephen 87 IROC; 01-31-2004 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:37 PM

I know they make wrap around ones.....but this is a snap in/bolt in. I think i'll be welding a little piece on the cross bar. Thanks guys