Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

First traction mods.. how does an airbag compare..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 07:45 PM

First traction mods.. how does an airbag compare..

I currentlty have a set of Nitto Dr's and for the track will have a set of e.t. streets mounted on 5 star Firebird wheels. When asking for suspension mods to help in lowering 60's I have seen a few responses about adding an airbag. I have a few questions reguarding these. Forgive me for asking some easy questions on my quest for better times.
-What exactly does an airbag do?
-With minimal bolt-ons, would I benefit from one?
-do people add airbags to daily drivers?
-can you purchase a full "kit" with everything I would need to run
an airbag if I decide to do so?
-how do they compare as far as how much a difference they can
make as far as other suspension goodies?
-any other suspension that are required to run one?
Again, I apologize for all the questions and thanks if you can answer some of these.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:23 PM

The air bag is a tuning aid. You buy it as a kit from Jegs or Summit. It includes 2 bags that fit inside the rear springs plus all the hoses and fittings.

Using both bags is fine but you only need to use one in the passenger side.

The theory is that when you launch, the diff is trying to rotate in a few different directions. One of the directions is that the passenger side wheel is being forced off the ground (one wheel burnouts). By using an air bag on that side, you put a preload on top of the axle. This means it takes more force to try and lift the wheel off the ground and if the pressure is set correctly, you could get an open diff to hook up like a posi.

Having a rear sway bar works almost the same way. It trys to keep one side of the diff from rising up.

Air pressures is trial and error since the air bag is a tuning aid and no 2 cars are the same. Usually in the 15-25 psi range works. If you use a bag in the drivers side also, it doesn't need as much air. 5-10 psi.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:03 PM

i run no air in the driver's side bag and 5 lbs. in the passenger's side. i should probably experiment more with this but i don't have my car at the track enough to care. i see low 1.90 60's in an M6 on nitto's launching at 4000 rpm.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Administrator

I run a single air bag on the passenger side. I usually have 17-19 pounds in it.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:17 PM

tnt- do you think i'd notice a big difference by running higher air pressure in the passenger side bag on drag radials?
Old 02-05-2004, 06:20 PM
Administrator

I have been using ET Streets. The concept is the same however... Provided the tires begin to bite, the front end rises (even if the wheels stay on the ground), and the weight is transferred to the rear. As the front of the car twists (drivers side comes up more, additional weight is planted on the passenger side rear tire. The additional weight tends to squat the rear which is not wanted. The airbag provides extra firmness allowing the weight to be transferred from the car to the tire. It is the job of the tire to then absorb the shock of the launch and hook firmly.

If the track is sticky and your drag radials are hot there is no reason the kit won't help. The kit is just one part of a logical progression of events leading to better sixty foot times.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:39 PM

ima hafta mess with the pressure next time i go to the track. unfortunately i'll probably only get one chance, unless the lady at the ticket booth is blind.